Talk

Advanced search

Miele or Bosch

(25 Posts)
Jamesr1501 Tue 20-Dec-16 05:07:17

I am looking at purchasing a new Washer Dryer (due to space constraints) and I am looking at whether, as with the rest of my appliances being Neff/Bosch, I would be best to purchase the Bosch Washer Dryer over a Miele model.

The reason for all new appliances comes into play as I am currently working with John Lewis to design my new kitchen, after seeing the amazing work done to my mums space last year. I am replacing all or most of my appliances (definitely replacing the likes of the Washer Dryer, Dishwasher, Fridge Freezer and Oven) and I have got two or three to choose from (overall). I am definitely not sure what to go for overall... Trying to think what is best in terms of cost and reliability (and other factors too...) confused

Your help would be much appreciated, I am looking to settle on one of them and purchase whichever one to work with my new kitchen by Wednesday to allow for Earliest possible installation date in February 2017.

The models I am looking at are:
Bosch: bit.ly/2gFqMyX
Miele WTF130WPM: bit.ly/2i3IRa8 (John Lewis Link doesn't work!!)
Miele WTH120WPM: bit.ly/2hNXJXd

I have currently ordered the Bosch, purely for affordability but it is not due to be delivered till 6.2.17 so I can as far as I can see change or cancel it if I decide to change for the Miele... Now some good information would be handy or some advice from you guys would be much appreciated too!

I look forward to reading your responses! smile fsmile
Merry Christmas Mumsnet'ers!

Viviene12 Tue 20-Dec-16 05:18:30

Miele if you can afford it.

ginasmith Tue 20-Dec-16 05:19:18

Having worked as a brand ambassador in John Lewis for Miele and being trained on the Miele equipment, I would recommend Miele over any other brand! The technology and quality in Miele products is outstanding! I have heard stories from customers who have had a Miele washing machine/dryer for over 20 years. Good luck smile

Plus buying it from John Lewis means they will look after you with guarantees and repairs etc. Amazing customer service

Pluto30 Tue 20-Dec-16 05:25:14

Miele.

Can't fault it.

southlondondh Tue 20-Dec-16 05:27:36

miele no contest you get what you pay for

Ifailed Tue 20-Dec-16 05:32:46

Snap! But I'm going for separate washer and dryer, on the basis that a combination appliance will have to compromise, however I understand that space can be a problem.
For what it's worth I've gone for the Miele WDA101 washer and Miele TDA150C dryer. Should be delivered on Friday, so if I remember I'll give you a report!
I would have bought Bosch in the past, but believe their quality has dropped.

Jamesr1501 Tue 20-Dec-16 05:35:52

I was thinking this as I supposedly (according to kitchen designer) have saved some money or the total (without appliances) has dropped from the original stated estimate. My mum and grandparents trust John Lewis and I have bought in my home a number of things from John Lewis (i.e. my Samsung TV) and I have to say the Added Care seems to do great. John Lewis for some reason won't show the WTF130WPM model which I feel would be cheaper than the 120 (with TwinDos) and as I simply do not really want the TwinDos system I do feel it would be wasted on me if that was the only one they now sell. I am kinda erking to treat myself to it over the Bosch but I know my father and possibly another member of my family will question me. My mums just not long ago bought a Neff Integrated after her last one was taken out when she had her new kitchen fitted.

I know anything really would be better than my Hotpoint Integrated and as I am errking towards the Freestanding Appliances (as with my purchases so far) this would be suitable over being limited again to integrated as I do not really like them too much and only really had them in this place. My last place I took the integrated out and replaced with LG.

What are the main Pros/benefits to the Meile. I know their menu system will take some getting used to. Also can you use Dylon Salt & Dye packs in the miele to machine dye items without problem.

Jamesr1501 Tue 20-Dec-16 05:44:48

@Ifailed. Thank you I would be grateful if you could let me know how you get on. I was originally just going to go 'blind buy' so to speak with the TwinDos Model but I really do not need that as I have converted my laundry to Persil Powder over Liqui-Tabs and Liquid detergents.

@Ginasmith If I bought directly from Miele would that matter too much as the kitchen is being refitted by the local store and their installers, Miele says they will deliver and install the appliance. I presume the installers would be ripping out the old machine at the start of the job as with the other appliances and units etc so I wouldn't have to worry too much about taking it out myself.

I am very bad at deciding especially when it comes to expensive items, and this is part of a big 'project' I've been doing to my first house (I am aged 25 26 next month) so its all rather new to me.. But I have to say once this is done my home will be perfect. I just hate being let down or having issues with things like this and would be happy if something lasted. Not to mention didnt shake, rattle and roll around or make a huge amount of noise (including with any possible uneven loads). smile

ginasmith Tue 20-Dec-16 06:45:10

It shouldn't matter if you order it directly from Miele or John Lewis you will still receive the same warranty I believe. Also wait until after xmas, Miele always has great offers.

Good luck sounds like a exciting project and I know it's hard making decisions! But if you want something that will last you a long time I would definitely recommend Miele

Jamesr1501 Tue 20-Dec-16 07:02:27

Thanks Gina. I would be more looking to get the order placed by Wednesday with the final bits of my kitchen being picked out then I can just look forward to it and have it all sorted. My dad (and any other family member) may frown upon this purchase but its my treat (so to speak) to myself smile

Can I ask, is it very level/quiet even if it has any slightly uneven load?
Im interested to know more, and is the TwinDos system worth it also as seems it may be the only one JL will do...

Jamesr1501 Tue 20-Dec-16 07:47:16

The Miele will take quite some getting used to (if I go with it) compared to any washer I have used before, and I know that for sure with its more complex (if you like) menu system whereas the Bosch seems more simple by having all the programmes it offers on the dial and touch panel for the options like Spin Speed etc. It may indeed actually in many ways be worth it if they are so very highly thought after, one thing I like or two is the Honeycomb Drum and the absence of what could be a pain... the concrete block.

I am interested to see how quiet they are, and how quiet they are with what could be uneven loads (towelling etc) and also whether the TwinDos is worth it too even though I currently use Powders.

Jamesr1501 Tue 20-Dec-16 07:49:12

And how to ease the minds of my family (dad) who may frown it... that will be a challenge :D

DropZoneOne Tue 20-Dec-16 07:59:32

Miele - my parents have washer and dryer, still going strong after about 15 years. Really quiet too - they have it in the conservatory and even sat in there you can barely hear it. My budget didn't stretch that far when I needed to replace so I have Bosch which we've had for 9 years and counting so still not bad! It is noisier though.

Chickenagain Tue 20-Dec-16 08:21:12

Miele.

Chickenagain Tue 20-Dec-16 08:23:20

I love my w/m & d/w. W/m is 15 years old & perfect. D/w unknown age, I bought it s/h as my new Siemens was rubbish! Top quality!

AnInfiniteOceanOfLight Tue 20-Dec-16 08:32:55

I have a very old Bosch washing machine (not washer dryer) - prob 15-20 yrs old and still going strong smile

Rest of my family swear by Miele though (they all have more money than me!)

potap123 Tue 20-Dec-16 08:33:24

I'm going to go against the grain and say Bosch. We bought a Miele dishwasher a few years ago with it and had nothing but trouble with it. It didn't get dishes even remotely clean. Repeated visits from Miele who told us things like not to use dishwasher tablets but to use separate powder, salt and rinse aid and that we actually needed to wash the dishes more thoroughly before putting them in the dishwasher?!? They wouldn't accept there was a fault. Fortunately we had bought it through John Lewis who eventually agreed to take it back and we swapped it for a Bosch which has been brilliant. Cleans really well with normal tablets and we never rinse the dishes. I know from having had them out in the past that Bosch's aftercare is fab too - they let you book your aftercare visit online with a choice or slots.

I'd never bother with Miele again. I'm sure their machines that aren't faulty are great, but their customer service is terrible if you're unlucky enough to to get one that doesn't perform

Murphysgirl Tue 20-Dec-16 08:44:56

I have a Miele washing machine with twin dos and like it. It's great not having to measure out the detergent and have powder everywhere. It also uses just the right amount to get the optimum cleaning.

Jamesr1501 Wed 21-Dec-16 03:19:45

Hi Guys. I decided last night to press the button on the John Lewis website for the Miele WTH120WPM Washer Dryer (With TwinDos). I am now looking forward to having this delivered around the date of my kitchen renovation so the fitters can have it all plumbed in and ready for me to use when the works being undertaken.

I chose to go with John Lewis for two factors, mainly the price differences as I saw they were doing the W/D for £1,699 with their reliable 'Added Care 5 Year Guarantee' for an additional £190, where as Miele were selling for £1,999 and only a Two Year guarantee. The Added Care is inclusive of the Manufacturer Guarantee so only extends it by three years only a shame that JL did not offer a 10 Year policy (I'd pay for that indeed!!). The other reason is I do not see any specific reasons as to why I should had to go with Miele Direct if John Lewis (like other retailers i.e. AO.com) have the appliance and can offer to deliver and install it. It would be interesting to see if John Lewis supply the machine from their Distribution Centre or indeed if its a fresh model that in the end is delivered from Miele (that would be nice!!) as I see some appliances do come from Manufacturers at John Lewis (like an appliance that a family member ordered...).

I am looking forward to many years happy service for the price I paid (£1,922.50), and I thank you all for your input. @IFailed, I look forward to your reports on your new appliances.

What would have been the benefit of ordering, and indeed paying the extra £300, through Miele directly? I would be interested to know this.

Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year to all of you fsmilefwink

Ifailed Fri 23-Dec-16 12:25:27

@Jamesr1501
had a delivery from JL today, and have just finished first test wash, and now using drying. Frankly, I didn't bother to read the manual fully, just enough to get up and running. Controls are easy and intuitive, even a man could handle them.
Not particularity noisy, but then I only put a small load in, Delivery men had high praise for them, though complained about the washing machine being soo heavy!

Jamesr1501 Fri 23-Dec-16 19:26:32

Thanks Guys! Chosen the Miele. The only issue now is as the door only opens to the right it will be somewhat restricted in the position it was to go into. (see attachment). I have only just gone ahead with the plan before I realised this and have emailed my kitchen planner to see if he can deepen the unit at the window end of the kitchen rather than the hob unit side and have the washer dryer placed in there so then it can open fully.

It was his recommendation to have it in this format to allow 'ease' with the dishwasher so i didn't have to go round to the side of it, or reach over it for loading etc as my current DW is beside my oven. I may be better to keep it as is, unfortunately due to drainage pipe that comes through the concrete floor they both cannot go beside one another.

I have gone with freestanding appliances over any integrated (other than the oven that will be built into the unit for VFM and also preference although I would change to an integrated DW over the model I went for, but I feel it would be better overall sticking to what I have gone with.

Jamesr1501 Fri 23-Dec-16 19:27:20

@Ifailed. Thanks. I look forward to getting it installed in my new kitchen in February. Anything is better than my cheapo Hotpoint!!

e1y1 Fri 23-Dec-16 22:23:26

Another one to go against the grain.

I have a Miele vacuum and in a word it is utter shite (probably only beaten by Dyson as the worst I have owned). It has been in for repair SIX times!

Never had any other Miele product other than the Vacuum, and going off that, am very reluctant to try their washers etc.

I had a Bosch Washing machine, which was excellent, it is still going strong 6/7 years later at DMs house (I foolishly "upgraded" to a singing dancing Samsung). Never a single issue from the Bosch except a broken door handle which wasn't the fault of the machine, but the user. Had Insurance, so the whole door was replaced, but that is all.

bandan Sat 24-Dec-16 13:59:09

I've got say sebo

tankerdale Sat 24-Dec-16 14:34:15

Miele all the way.
Washing machine 11 yrs and still going strong, tumble drier and vacuum about 9 years I think. No problems or repairs needed so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now