Talk

Advanced search

Toilet cleaning

(16 Posts)
almostenglish Thu 15-Dec-16 21:00:18

We've recently moved into a new house and the toilets are disgusting because the previous owners were slobs.

I've obviously cleaned the toilets and I've got some gel toilet cleaner jobby on too but the bottom of the toilets still looks brown and disgusting. We will in time replace the bathroom but in the meantime, how can I turn them white again??

PhoenixJasmine Thu 15-Dec-16 21:03:40

Harpic tablet, the ones in the black box; for at least 6 hours, then scrub. We have to do ours regularly as no matter how often the toilets are cleaned with cleaner/loo brush the brown scale still builds up, it's a hard water thing rather than a being too manky thing I think.

WhatILoved Thu 15-Dec-16 21:04:49

Hi
I had same problem when I moved into my new house. It was just elbow grease that did it. I had to manually scrub it with a scourer (not using a brush but gloved hands)
Not the best for environment but I had to use bleach . Good luckfgrin

StealthPolarBear Thu 15-Dec-16 21:04:56

According to the extreme mners you only need a microfiber cloth and sone elbow grease. Get down there and scrub smile

almostenglish Thu 15-Dec-16 21:12:37

Yuk! We haven't moved that long ago and I still consider it their toilet IYKWIM so feel a bit bleuh having to get down there and scrub...

I vaguely remember someone mentioning a trillion years ago that you could dissolve the scale with stuff for dentures, anyone tried that?!

AliceInHinterland Thu 15-Dec-16 21:15:40

I second the harpic recommendation - the liquid is easier to get hold of and still pretty good. Might need a few overnight applications.
It's worth bailing a bit of water out first I think.

NotWithoutMyMerkin Thu 15-Dec-16 21:17:03

We had this issue with one of ours when we moved in and I tried all sorts. What worked in the end was getting the water level as low as possible, and a large amount of Waitrose limescale remover left overnight. It stinks though but it shifted it

Floralnomad Thu 15-Dec-16 21:18:43

The harpic tablets in the black box really are brilliant , I'd start with them .

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 15-Dec-16 21:22:05

According to something I read on Pinterest if you put a piece of one of those flash magic sponges into the toilet it will dissolve overnight and get the toilet really clean. I've not tried it but I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has.
Also Coca-Cola in the toilet is also supposed to dissolve the stains. God knows what it does to your insides....

Stargirl82 Thu 15-Dec-16 21:35:45

This stuff works bloody wonders and no scrubbing required

monctonbelly Fri 16-Dec-16 10:39:29

I recommend trying this toilet cleaning kit i use it on my toilet recently as the bottom of my toilet looked filthy but after using this it really cleaned it up.

almostenglish Fri 16-Dec-16 11:37:19

Got harpic white and shine after reading some good reviews! Put lots in and will leave it all afternoon until we get back. Fingers crossed...

GrubbyWindows Fri 16-Dec-16 17:06:01

Will the white and shine work on the lid?? My loo is fine, but I always close the lid, and I've just realised that the middle of the inside of the lid is noticeably yellow fblush

GrubbyWindows Fri 16-Dec-16 17:09:25

Sorry, baby hit post there... As in, I always close to flush. The lid is plastic.
Re limescale- I really like the bio d loo cleaner. Ferret about with the loo brush to slosh as much water out as possible (through the u bend not onto the floor obvs!) then use a load of the cleaner and leave overnight. Scrub again in the morning.

poochiepants Fri 16-Dec-16 17:13:26

Put bleach into the toilet every night for about a week which will remove the brown 'deposits' which makes the next bit less yucky to do....

I take out as much water as possible from the pan (I've kept an old plastic yoghurt pot, small and easy to scoop the water) then cover with a thick heavy duty limescale cleaner, leave for as long as the instructions say then rinse.

You might have to do it 2 or 3 times if it's bad limescale, but it is much better than hoping the cleaner will work through the water. The manufacturers don't tell you to empty out the water, as you'll use more product their way......hmm

poochiepants Fri 16-Dec-16 17:14:33

Oh, I also keep an old toothbrush handy too, to give the limescale cleaner an extra rubber-gloved hand.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now