Talk

Advanced search

Do you file your receipts in date order or alphabetical order of store names?

(41 Posts)
2015mom Tue 13-Dec-16 22:38:03

Do you file your receipts in date order or alphabetical order of store names?

Reality16 Tue 13-Dec-16 22:40:21

I don't file receipts, is that a common thing to do?

sighbynight Tue 13-Dec-16 22:40:42

Most receipts: In the bottom of my handbag, until I throw them out.

White goods and large purchases: in a large drop file marked Household.

AgentProvocateur Tue 13-Dec-16 22:41:04

I don't keep receipts, unless the product has a guarantee. In which case, I put it in the "receipt drawer", which has no order to it.

fabulousfun Tue 13-Dec-16 22:41:06

shockI file mine in the bin! God I hope I'm not the only one!

Alorsmum Tue 13-Dec-16 22:41:07

Erm I file them all shoved in a plastic bag and I don't think I've ever found one when I needed one

2015mom Tue 13-Dec-16 22:42:22

Well I want to be organised because receipts are scattered around the house or my bag and then I spend so much time looking for certain receipts and always think if I file them away then should be easier to find them lol

Well maybe even that will take a while to find Hahahaha

I want to organise them but didn't know whether to do in date order or name order lol

Alorsmum Tue 13-Dec-16 22:42:40

And obviously only for thins that might have a guarantee. Not once have I ever made use of a shop
guarantee successfully so I think the bin may be the better place

Mind you our boiler broke down 3 days within the guarantee but by the time I found the paperwork it was out of date so maybe I need a new system

DustyMaiden Tue 13-Dec-16 22:43:31

I staple them to the user guide for large purchases. Put them in a box in no particular order otherwise.

ShelaghTurner Tue 13-Dec-16 22:43:32

I file them in the bottom of my bag and when their number interferes with me finding my purse I chuck them all out. Usually whilst waiting outside the school.

2015mom Tue 13-Dec-16 22:43:41

Lol

WhoKnowsWhereTheT1meG0es Tue 13-Dec-16 22:43:50

I only keep those for things I might possibly need to return, they get shoved in a section of a concertina file along with all other paperwork. When I can no longer close it I move anything I still need to keep to a box file of receipts snd guarantees. When that gets full after about 5 years I have another clearout.

2015mom Tue 13-Dec-16 22:45:22

Good idea stapling large purchases to user guide because usually you pull the two out together

Bobochic Tue 13-Dec-16 22:45:54

I have wooden filing boxes by type of purchase (e.g. Kitchen appliances). Receipts for items go in the box for the type of purchase.

acornsandnuts Tue 13-Dec-16 22:46:20

I hand a carrier bag full over to my accountant once a year. He loves me wink

reindeerbitesback Tue 13-Dec-16 23:31:10

I do mine in date order, but if you're likely to forget the date you bought something do it alphabetically!

PetalMettle Tue 13-Dec-16 23:33:01

I only keep them for guarantee stuff and they get filed in date order with the guarantee of whatever product it is. I don't own a stapler at home 🙈

2015mom Wed 14-Dec-16 07:19:20

Thanks everybody very useful

TroysMammy Wed 14-Dec-16 07:25:10

I have a red envelope in a kitchen drawer for receipts for items with guarantees. It has never occurred to me until now of a filing system. Date order I think because when the guarantee has ended you can throw them out.

I was going to do my ironing this afternoon but now have a more important job to do. grin

weaselwords Wed 14-Dec-16 07:28:53

Date order, as that's the way they go in.

CuckooCuckooClock Wed 14-Dec-16 07:29:30

Mine are roughly in date order. Shop name would be better I think - might do that from now on.
Dh is the king of receipt filing and he just said that you should have a relational database so you can cross reference between shop and date for maximum efficiency.
He's a real catch.

Marmelised Wed 14-Dec-16 07:33:53

I have 3 a4 plastic envelope wallets. Each has a label with the year on - so currently 2014, 2015, 2016.
During the year all receipts are stuffed in there. At the end of this year I will empty out 2014 (no guarantees longer than 2 years usually), cross out where it says 2014, write in 2017 and start the process again. Works for me.

pklme Wed 14-Dec-16 07:58:53

Lots of receipts don't get kept at all, especially now there is an online paper trail, credit card statement etc.

What I keep goes in a box file, so the recent ones are on the top. You just rifle down toward the bottom for older things. If I pass anything I no longer have (broken radios etc) I fish it out and bin it.

2015mom Wed 14-Dec-16 20:32:31

Thanks everybody very useful tips

opinionatedfreak Wed 14-Dec-16 21:22:14

An envelope for each account.

Throw out the ones I don't need to keep when I check the statements each month (food etc.)

Attach the ones I do want to keep - household appliances primarily or other stuff with a guarantee to the instructions. I then file those in my instruction box in the filing cabinet.

I used to keep the receipts/ instruction separately but recently failed to find the receipt for something which was broken but still within warranty. Retailer/manufacturer wouldn't repair it as I didn't have the receipt onmy the instructions.....I have now changed my system.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now