Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

WASHING MACHINE DOES NOT TURN OR SPIN.......................HELP...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(23 Posts)
RTKangaMummy Sat 17-Feb-07 11:14:48

How much to have repair?

Is it worth it or should we get a new one?

It is about 5 years old. {as a guess}

Thanks

RTKangaMummy Sat 17-Feb-07 11:32:03

Anyone please ?????

Aloveheart Sat 17-Feb-07 11:33:24

you can get them quite cheap now adays i suppose it depends on how fancy one you want. By the time you've paid a call out charge, it could be £100 or more anyways.

That's just my opinion.

fairysnuff Sat 17-Feb-07 11:36:34

My washing machne stopped spinning about three years ago, and it turned out to be something really really small.
God, I am racking my brain to think what it was again???
My dad managed to fix it for me.
It was a tiny bearing or something, just under the top near the back how helpful am I.
I think that what it was though, the bearing.
10 minute job. With the right man.
I hate calling people in though, they always try to screw you!! Just cos your a woman they think you are too stupid to realise.
Sorry, I am not normally pro women and stuff but I really hate being treated like a dummy.
God, I has started an unwarranted rant, now DD has woken so I don't have time to explain myself
Back later!!

Aloveheart Sat 17-Feb-07 11:38:09

i was just thinking to buy new because your's is 5 years and that's quite good for a washing machine i think.

RTKangaMummy Sat 17-Feb-07 11:42:39

Thanks guys

I think we buy new DH wants to get a repair man

But we don't know one and we haven't a clue about machine things iyswim

luckily it was a small wash that is now dripping on the airer thing in the bath

Aloveheart Sat 17-Feb-07 11:44:23

i hate that you might be able to get a deal on line some can be as little as £160. i know it's ok if you know someone you can trust but some you don't know whether they are gonna diagnose a problem that didn't even exist to bump the repair bill up.

fairysnuff Sat 17-Feb-07 11:46:50

Sory about that.
Reason for rant is that my heater was not working recently (and I had a few other electricals to get fixed).
The man came round, calling me darling, and quoted approx £1000. Telling me my heater was wrecked and I would need new ones throughout.
Turned out(to cut a long story short, esp as this in one handed now) that a friend had tried to help and had just wired up wrong. Another 10 min job (super dad to the rescue) and it was sorted.
I nearly paid £1000 and got all new heaters!!

So I don't trust any of them!!

I imagine you may not have a superdad on call, but just be V careful. It could just be a really simple thing and a dodgy dealer tells you you need a whole new one!!!
Do you have a friend who can help, or a friend of a friend!
Use LO as everage to call in a favour, would be my advice, before calling the big boys.

Sorry, I am so totally not normally like this but he upset me so! And it was recent so I am still stinging!!

RTKangaMummy Sat 17-Feb-07 11:47:45

I have told DH he is to ring up a friend to ask if they know a "little man" who mends washing machines

RTKangaMummy Sat 17-Feb-07 12:08:03

Blimey !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well he rang up the friend and was told of a little shop in town that charges £47 call out + parts, so he is going to ring them

Will let you know what happens

Aloveheart Sat 17-Feb-07 21:46:04

that's really cheap. I hope it's nothing too seriously might be the brushes or something. So hope you don't have to fork out for a brand new one.

8andahalfweeksandcounting Sat 17-Feb-07 21:51:56

The exact same thing happened to me last week - turned out my mum had been fiddling and switched the spin dial off - had to ring John Lewis and cancel my order for new one

Hope all goes well - why not try your local freecycle website if particularly skint.

RTKangaMummy Mon 19-Feb-07 18:52:09

WELL !!!!!!!!!!!!

DH moved the washing machine out this morning to clean behind it and then decided that he would try the spin cycle and it worked

So 25 minutes before the engineer man was due he rang the shop and said it was working and so cancelled

The shop was ok about it

So then DH decided he would put machine on with a wash ie with a few clothes in including my knickers!!!

So it started and when it was full of water it didn't spin

so we now have a washing machine with loads of water in and my knickers

So DH rang the shop again and spoke to the same man and apologised profusly {sp} so the engineer is coming tomorrow afternoon

I am hoping the water will slowly drain away so my knickers can be taken out before he gets here !!!!!!!!

RTKangaMummy Mon 19-Feb-07 18:54:41

I said to DH that they will probably increase the prices of the parts, tomorrow cos we messed them about

AnAngelWithin Mon 19-Feb-07 19:03:39

put it on the final spin, i know it doesnt spin but it should drain the water away. we have had this happen a few times with our machine and its always the burshes that go. I don't think they are very expensive. Its just the engineers bills that are! we got our machine insured. Pay about £8 a month and its 7 years old. Never had to pay for a call out or anything thank god! Its worth getting!

wurlywurly Mon 19-Feb-07 19:08:07

could be that the belt has come off or that it needs a new belt, hopefully it will just be something small

JillyBeansNW Mon 19-Feb-07 19:15:44

Can you change it back to the spin cycle - I had a machine that broke down and would only do certain cycles

JillyBeansNW Mon 19-Feb-07 19:36:31

Also - hope this doesn't sound too silly - have you checked the filter?

Bugsy2 Mon 19-Feb-07 19:49:00

have you checked it is not just a fuse that needs changing in the plug?

RTKangaMummy Tue 20-Feb-07 15:35:51

We are sorted

my knickers were rescued - the water drained out

The man came this afternoon on scheldule and it was the BRUSHES

The bill came to the grand total of £62.21

{which includes call out charge and VAT}

That is what I call good value

and deffo brill

btw if you want an indepandant dealer with service type EURONICS into google and put in your postcode and it will come up with local indepandant shops

Support the little man and local shops

Aufish Tue 20-Feb-07 16:29:45

Thanks for the tip,looks like I will be needing to do the exactly the same thing in tomorrow, what is it with washing machines?!

Aufish Tue 20-Feb-07 16:34:28

That should be in the morning!

RTKangaMummy Tue 20-Feb-07 16:38:06

I don't know

But look up EURONICS and it may be as cheap as ours was

DH remembers that he replaced the brushes in the old machine after a friend showed him how to - lift off the top

But with this machine the back had to come off and the motor

btw BRUSHES cost £12.95 for a pair + VAT and it only took him about 15 mins to change

good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now