Talk

Advanced search

Lor, would a Hostess Trolley really change my life?

(7 Posts)
WhiteHairReally Tue 29-Nov-16 23:04:21

I do a good deal of 10-30 guest entertaining.' 20 people are coming for supper next week. Lots more the following week.
I have a two door Aga which gets stressed and sulks if I challenge it too much. ( and no, I don't use the top over much, but miss the two, full size ovens and five rings I had in our previous house.)
An elderly friend suggested that a hostess trolley might make my life easier. I just associate them with canteen style overdone veg and veneer look mahogany, although I see they now come in stainless steel.

The kitchen is due for a refit sometime soon.
Do I
A add another oven and small hob when that happens?
B Get a hostess trolley and suck up the ridicule?
C Do both?
D get a/nother life?

Crikeyblimey Tue 29-Nov-16 23:12:34

If anybody ridicules a hostess trolley, never allow them to darken your door again! They are things of beauty (well, not beauty exactly but kitch gorgeousness).

We have a 'family' one that used to be my mother's. At Christmas it is invaluable. Warm plates, dishes and gravy boats. Keeps veg warm and is just fabulous.

Get one!

PoshPenny Tue 29-Nov-16 23:22:36

We have a hostess trolley in the family that comes out every Christmas. Our guests have reduced as the older generation have died off, but we still use the trolley. No overdone school dinner veg here and lots of lovely hot plates to serve the food on. We aren't big entertainers but I'm sure you'd get the use from it to justify having it if you bought one.

PoshPenny Tue 29-Nov-16 23:25:09

Oh and my answer would be to get a hostess trolley and put in a "normal" cooker to complement your aga when you re do your kitchen

wowfudge Wed 30-Nov-16 07:28:18

I think an additional oven with hob would change your life far more OP. Depending on what you are cooking, would something like an Instant Pot/plug in hob, etc be more useful? When we bought our house the vendors offered us their 'heated trolley'. We declined. There was little enough space in the badly designed kitchen without housing that.

OneEpisode Wed 30-Nov-16 07:34:11

A. You can return home from holiday in the summer and still cook actual food as soon as you're back, without leaving the aga on burning fuel just to over heat your house whilst you were away

WhiteHairReally Wed 30-Nov-16 14:12:29

Thanks for all your thoughts.

I already have a two ring plug in job by way as back up. It proved vital in the summer when I had 30 for lunch and came down the morning before to discover the Aga had gone out. It can only be relit by the Aga man, who was away.

Right, I'd better go and shop for tomorrow evening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now