Talk

Advanced search

Keeping wooden floor clean

(9 Posts)
girlonfirex Mon 28-Nov-16 11:08:36

We've just swapped the mankey old carpet in our open plan living / dining room for a wooden floor. We've 2 cats, a 1 year old and another on the way.

I have a Hoover, broom and steam mop but what's the best device for keeping a wooden floor clean? There seems to be annoying bits left after I sweep.

I'm thinking I need some sort of swiffer thing??

User1029384746 Mon 28-Nov-16 11:14:33

We've got bamboo flooring.

I Hoover it and then clean it with a vinegar and water solution using a microfibre type broom thing.

We were told to not steam ours!! Also told,m that hoovering is better then sweeping as it's less likely to scratch the wood.

bubblymix Mon 28-Nov-16 12:31:24

flash wood floor cleaner with a mop is what you need.

missyB1 Mon 28-Nov-16 12:36:31

we have a Karndean floor and i've been told i cant steam mop it - sigh.... I think its just going to be hoover then old fashioned mop with flash or something similar.

Mominatrix Mon 28-Nov-16 12:45:03

Hoover then damp mop with a good wood floor cleaner (e.g. Osmo). Steam mops would make me nervous with wood floors as moisture and wood are not usually friends.

KayTee87 Wed 30-Nov-16 15:54:19

I have a hardwood floor in the hall and I hoover with the brushes down then mop with a small amount of water & a hardwood floor cleaners then 'walk' an old towel over it to dry it.

Sgtmajormummy Wed 30-Nov-16 16:10:33

Vileda has come out with a Roomba style machine for less than £100 and I'll be investing in one when the dust settles in the flat we're working on. At the moment I'm killing my cheapy bagless one!

Any mop you use on wooden floors needs to be really well wrung out, so microfibre and a good squeezing basket are a must.

Sgtmajormummy Wed 30-Nov-16 16:17:34

Vileda Cleaning Robot
The catchphrase is "Cleans so you don't have to!"
Yes, I'll bite.

Haribogirl Wed 30-Nov-16 16:17:35

We've hardwood original flooring.

I stupidly used steam mop, and the steam from when I switched it on as took the top vanish/colour off and I'm left with print of the steam mop🙄

Only thing that is good about steam mop is it virtually dries straight away

No no to steam mop

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now