We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How to clean a toilet brush ?

(35 Posts)
neilmcallan1965 Mon 28-Nov-16 10:56:15

Sorry I never seen this thread earlier. There has been "self cleaning toilet brushes" on the go for a few years now...not going to plug the brand because that is against the T&Cs. Really not rocket science but it does work, they have an internal reservoir of disinfectant that you plunge the brush into after use. Hope this helps and the person who suggested putting them in a dishwasher has a hygienic alternative

Helenluvsrob Mon 28-Nov-16 10:59:37

Uh? don't you just bung bleach down the loo after a good scrub and then leave the loo brush sitting in the ( bleachy) pan for a a while? Then flush to rinse everything and stick it back?

Just imagine how delightful the " internal reservoir of disinfectant" will be to clean out, and surely the brush drips disinfectant when you lift it?

MrsJayy Mon 28-Nov-16 11:01:57

Self cleaning sounds a faff then you need to change the disenfectant thats just something else to do nah bleach flush is how i clean mine

neilmcallan1965 Mon 28-Nov-16 11:05:29

You just flush the solution down the toilet and put in some some...nothing else to do....simples

MrsJayy Mon 28-Nov-16 11:06:58

But you can just squirt some bleach/toilet cleaner down anyway

neilmcallan1965 Mon 28-Nov-16 11:10:15

Not starting a crusade here but bleach is probably the worst thing you should be sloshing about.....really is nasty stuff

PenguinsandPebbles Mon 28-Nov-16 11:14:09

According to most MN you should be burning your toilet brushes!

And then using a piece of tissue folded up to remove any marks.

I think I will stick to just purchasing a new one every once in a while and leaving it in the toilet when i bleach it smile

As for the self cleaning thing, I'm sure somebody somewhere will put that in their dishwasher.

neilmcallan1965 Mon 28-Nov-16 11:26:13

Yes, they should be burnt, agree 100% with MN on that....why on earth would you fold a piece of toilet paper and remove any marks?...that is right up there with the dishwasher suggestion. Good Housekeeping Institute approved the self cleaning one, they should know what they are talking about.

Sixisthemagicnumber Mon 28-Nov-16 11:29:50

Bleach might be nasty stuff but it is essential IMO for cleaning the toilet brush and the toilet bowl. I try to limit my use of bleach but it is a must for the toilet. I can't imagine that a self cleaning toilet brush with a reservoir of disinfectant is anything but from after a few weeks. If people are that concerned they can always get them disposable brushes.

Sixisthemagicnumber Mon 28-Nov-16 11:30:13

^^anything but grim

MrsJayy Mon 28-Nov-16 11:33:01

I only really use bleach in the toilet it is no nastier than the toilet cleaners you can buy imo

neilmcallan1965 Mon 28-Nov-16 11:43:55

OK ...bleach will always have it's devotees, the big brands are "trusted" and spend a lot of money to keep it that way. Not attempting to change the world but there are far more effective alternatives that do not have the human or environmental impact.

Inthenick Mon 28-Nov-16 11:49:23

What instead Neil? I like to avoid cleaners as much as possible and rarely use more than fairy liquid on anything. It's just the toilet I use toilet cleaner for but always feel bad about it.

neilmcallan1965 Mon 28-Nov-16 12:32:07

There are loads of products that will do the job, even better and without the downside of bleach. Avoiding naming brands, vinegar, baking soda etc....do a google on safe alternatives to bleach, there is an array of information out there that has been corroborated. Be clear though, bleach is pretty nasty, chlorine gas was the original chemical warfare weapon of choice in WW1....

amorita Mon 28-Nov-16 12:57:43

How is disinifectant ok but bleach is condemned as bad?

Sixisthemagicnumber Mon 28-Nov-16 13:32:03

Well given the choice of vinegar and baking soda or bleach to clean my loo, I think I'll stick with the bleach. I have 2 teenage boys in the house so vinegar and baking soda ain't going to do it for me.

PenguinsandPebbles Mon 28-Nov-16 16:40:59

OP... You agree that loo brushes should be burnt but you believe in a device to clean a loo brush cleaner? Leaves me confused

I asked once how do you expect a guest to tidy up/clean your loo after themselves if you don't have a loo brush, and the answer was to use toilet paper to remove the mark.

I am also sticking to loo brush and bleach I'm afraid

neilmcallan1965 Mon 28-Nov-16 17:43:43

Sorry, I never made myself clear enough, I agreed with the burning of the traditional non-hygienic toilet brush... this does not apply to the self - cleaning toilet brush I was telling you about that is approved by the Good Housekeeping Institute. There is an approved cleaning fluid that accompanies the product which is biocidal and biodegradable with no risk phrases (unlike bleach). The folk at GHI should know what they are talking about, best read their review yourself. Hope this clear things up.
Type in "self cleaning toilet brush - GHI"

PenguinsandPebbles Mon 28-Nov-16 18:47:45

That clears things up!

Loo brushes do funny things to people on Mn grin

PenguinsandPebbles Mon 28-Nov-16 18:50:57

So I've googled

I'm one to admit when I might be wrong, now I've seen it.

I want one grin

PenguinsandPebbles Mon 28-Nov-16 18:51:45

Not this one though

picclick.co.uk/Red-Wine-Bottle-Toilet-Brush-Novelty-Loo-lavatory-400903812397.html

Came up with the google search lol

oldlaundbooth Mon 28-Nov-16 18:52:27

Dishwasher?

SillyMoomin Mon 28-Nov-16 19:01:07

Do you work for Good Houskeeping Institute op confused

Your posts all sound like one gigantic smug ad

Sixisthemagicnumber Mon 28-Nov-16 19:05:30

I have googled it now and it isn't really a self cleaning toilet brush. You have to change the cleaning solution every week and you have to twist the brush handle to clean it. So effectively it is a standard brush with a twisty handle that you stand in a cleaning solution which you have to regularly change.

awayinamazda Mon 28-Nov-16 19:06:34

Bleach works well at killing germs, that's why it's popular, and 'nasty'. Is there any evidence that vinegar and bicarb do that? I suspect most things we can safely say, are safe for bacteria and other nasties too. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now