Has he killed the fridgefreezer?!

(15 Posts)
TreehouseTales Sat 26-Nov-16 14:01:21

So, hypothetically if a delivery man delivers the new huge fridge freezer and your husband is in at the time and is told not to turn it on for 4 hours.... And interprets that as "it takes 4 hours to get up to temperature" so turns it on...

Apart from getting cross, will it have killed the fridge freezer? The manual says something about allowing the system to settle. If I've unplugged it now and leave it 4 hours will that work.

I'm not really sure why it needs to settle nd if he's broken it for life or if it can be resuscitated? What do I need to look for?

Cucumber5 Sat 26-Nov-16 14:02:39

No idea but isn't it about letting the gases settle?

TreehouseTales Sat 26-Nov-16 14:06:15

So will they settle if I just leave it off for 4 hours or will they have gone wreaking havoc?

wowfudge Sat 26-Nov-16 18:10:17

It's because it has been moved and may have been tipped onto it's side meaning the small amount of oil which is there to lubricate the compressor needs to settle so there is no damage to that when you switch it on. I'd leave it for the four hours, but cross check with the manual, don't just take the delivery guy's word for it. You'll need to leave it for longer than four hours after settling to reach temperature I would have thought.

TreehouseTales Sat 26-Nov-16 18:12:43

The manual says 4 hours but that assumes 4 hours from delivery and not that it's been already turned on for 2 sad

I hope he's not broken it sad

OurBlanche Sat 26-Nov-16 18:26:46

It won't be broken, promise.

We moved ours from house to house and just left it sat still, totally defrosted, overnight before switching it on. It is to allow lubrication to settle down into the compressor. If you don't do this it is possible that it cause a blockage and break.

So, leave it switched off for at least 4 hours... overnight would be better, to be sure!

TreehouseTales Sat 26-Nov-16 18:31:23

We've actually turned it on from new though sad

mammybops Sat 26-Nov-16 18:36:37

I did this with my first chest freezer...turned it straight on (I was 18 and a bit naive about real life).

However it is still keeping things frozen 17 years later (now nervous it may break because I've mentioned it) so whilst it's advisory to leave off for four hours a moment of naivety/stupidity isn't necessarily a disaster. Leave it off overnight and you should be fine.

OurBlanche Sat 26-Nov-16 18:59:53

Yes, I I know you have turned it on... just turn ot off again, leave it for longer than the instructions and keep your fingers crossed.

How long was it on for?

You have switched it off, haven't you?

OurBlanche Sat 26-Nov-16 19:02:04

Sorry, pressed post too soon!

Even if it is still on, cooling/freezing away, merrily, it is usually fine. Usually it will work and not break.

TreehouseTales Sat 26-Nov-16 19:07:17

Hehe yes I turned it off when I git in and realised what husband had done.

Was worried the damage was done! He tried to turn it back on again earlier after it had had 2 hours post being on!!! Argggggggggg!!

LadyCatherinesshades Sat 26-Nov-16 19:24:45

If it was going to break it would have done it already. It should be fine

Cucumber5 Sat 26-Nov-16 21:51:46

What a tit!

I've always left them overnight.

TreehouseTales Sun 27-Nov-16 20:19:53

Seems okay after being left overnight... Thankfully...

Cucumber5 Sun 27-Nov-16 20:26:12

Phew!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now