Talk

Advanced search

Broken washing machine - do it tackle it myself?

(12 Posts)
Endlesslllove Fri 25-Nov-16 14:18:44

Our washer dryer is plugged into an extension lead because it doesn't reach the socket. I had a bucket of hand washing and when I was putting it into the machine to rinse, I spilled some water on the plug & extension lead. Wiped it immediately and it was fine...until a few ours later when it tripped a switch and half the electricity in the house went off. Tried a different extension lead and a new fuse, but it trips every time we plug it back in. Spoke to an appliance repair man who will come and look at it for £69, but I got the impression he thought he'd just need to put a new plug on it. The plug is moulded on so a bit of a faff to change, but doable.
So, do I/dh try and cut the plug off and risk messing it up, or potentially pay someone £70 to change a plug? What would you do?!

Endlesslllove Fri 25-Nov-16 14:39:53

I should add that with two young dcs we can't last long without it! Repair man can come tomorrow morning, so if we're to fix it ourselves, we'd need to do it ourselves tonight after getting dcs to bed

SloanePeterson Fri 25-Nov-16 14:42:27

Cut the plug, you can get a new one for a pound or so. I've done this myself before to a washing machine and nothing bad happened.

Endlesslllove Fri 25-Nov-16 16:09:48

Thanks Sloane, think we'll give it a go

mermaidbutmytailfelloff Fri 25-Nov-16 16:27:16

makes me feel so old!

It's not THAT long ago before all appliances came without plugs when you bought them, and you had to fit one yourself.

Do have a go, its so simple!

Endlesslllove Fri 25-Nov-16 16:50:25

Thanks for the encouragement! I have changed an old fashioned plug, the ones that come apart, but the moulded ones look so off putting, silly really. Knowing my luck we'll change it and find it's not the plug after all!

wowfudge Fri 25-Nov-16 21:15:32

An 'old fashioned plug' - I feel so old having read that!

TheFlyingFauxPas Sat 26-Nov-16 02:18:07

Ooh my dad used to insist on soldering wires in blimmin plugs! Had to wait forever to use Christmas presents 😞

TheFlyingFauxPas Sat 26-Nov-16 02:18:37

Safe though 😊

wildestdreams22 Sat 26-Nov-16 11:57:41

You can get some cheap replacement plugs from here for a couple fo quid.

Endlesslllove Sat 26-Nov-16 16:14:07

Thanks all, we did it and it worked straight away! Didn't think I'd be so happy to see an appliance back in action smile ploughing through all the laundry now.
So glad we tried it and saved ourselves £69! Appreciate the encouragement and tips

Princesspond Sat 26-Nov-16 18:16:10

Well done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now