Talk

Advanced search

CArpet beetles

(20 Posts)
Belle121 Tue 22-Nov-16 16:17:00

I remember seeing two tiny little beetles in our bedroom windowsill and one in our boys room. I just killed them and thought nothing of it. Then about 6 weeks ago I saw the first carpet beetle larvae and a few days later another 2, then so on it was every so often I'd see the odd one. I've got pest control coming out Thursday to spray all around the house. We have since emptied all our bed out and airing cupboard found a few and some casings. We think we found what may have been some eggs in the airing cupboard anyway we hoovered everywhere and cleaned. Really hoping these people can kill them on Thursday. I feel like I'm going insane with panic over them. I have two small children and the thought of them in the house around us is giving me the creeps. Just wondered if anyone else has been through this x

Twoevils Tue 22-Nov-16 16:18:32

We get the odd one. I just squash and move on TBH. Never found any damage due to them.

Belle121 Tue 22-Nov-16 16:24:32

No I've not found any damage either. But they are a nuisance and want them gone

Belle121 Tue 22-Nov-16 18:38:39

Has anyone else had pest control out and it's sorted the problem?

We just hoovered everywhere, and then again. They hate being disturbed, so that will sort it. The only thing they seem to have attacked is a merino cardigan.

Sorry you're feeling so icky about it, I hate it too, not as much as when we had fleas though!

theaveragewife Tue 22-Nov-16 18:46:07

Hoover and use carpet beetle spray in the corners and around the side of the rooms every 6 months.

OldRosesDoomed Tue 22-Nov-16 18:48:35

I've done biscuit beetle (bleurgh). From a papier mache model made with infested flour at school. Also moths and had severe damage. Carpet beetle are minnows of the pest world. All will be well. My best friend got bed bugs when her son got back from travelling in the Far East (mega bleurgh). I think they ditched a 1.5k two year old bed in the end.

greenmelon Tue 22-Nov-16 19:17:32

Can you post a picture of one? I've just moved into a new flat, been here about 2.5 weeks and have found around 20/30 little brown beetles. It's driving me insane I don't know what they are or where they're coming from but it's making me feel really grossed out! Not seen one for a couple of days so I'm hoping they've gone but if not I'm going to contact my landlord.

I've tried googling to see what they could be but when I google carpet beetles they don't look like the ones I've got.

Belle121 Tue 22-Nov-16 19:40:24

Hey guys thank you. Hopefully pest control will sort it they are spraying round everywhere. And I'm hoovering and washing everything at the minute. The guys who's coming out has told me to leave what he sprays around all the edges for 6-8 weeks and to my vac or wipe it inly the centre of my rooms. It's massively making me feel icky. Think it's worse because of having children. Green melon. That's a pic of the story beetle larvae that I've been finding

greenmelon Wed 23-Nov-16 19:10:23

That doesn't look like what I have. Can anyone tell me what these beetles are!? Feel totally grossed out by them sad

OldRosesDoomed Wed 23-Nov-16 22:08:20

Can you get pest control in. That looks like a baby cockroach to me.

Belle121 Wed 23-Nov-16 23:19:18

Green melons pic looks like a cockroach? Oldrosesdoomed?

Twoevils Thu 24-Nov-16 06:59:24

Hate to say it greenmelons but that looks like a bedbug or a tick. Neither of which you want wandering around!

greenmelon Thu 24-Nov-16 08:56:25

I'm getting in touch with my landlord today!! They were there when I moved in. I've got all brand new beds, bedding, sofa etc Urghh really freaked out!!!

Belle121 Sun 27-Nov-16 14:01:08

Did you find out what they were greenmelon? We had pest control out did the whole house. Fingers crossed it's worked xx

greenmelon Mon 28-Nov-16 13:50:17

Haven't been able to get in touch with landlord and I've found 3 more over the weekend sad

Supershiv1 Wed 29-Mar-17 12:58:38

Hi Belle did you manage to get rid of the beetles?
I've found a few adults the last few weeks but have no idea where they're coming from. Am currently pulling all furniture out and hoovering. I am beyond annoyed as I have a cleaner and everything is hoovered at leastweekly anyway - although not under/behind big furniture. Do I really have to wash all the clothes????

previously1474etc Wed 29-Mar-17 15:32:02

Old thread but still valid.

They hide in cracks so not the cleaners fault. They also fly in from outside. The larvae (woolly bears) can cause skin irritations but are harmless.

Wash or freeze clothes, same as for clothes moths, pack them in sealable plastic bags. I also keep mine in plastic boxes (but I don't currently have a wardrobe). Shampoo carpets, then spray with Indore or Acclaim flea spray, the active ingredient kills them, do not stay in the room and wear a mask, the stuff is nasty, air the rooms, best to do one room at a time.

If you don't mind dust and prefer a natural approach then diatomaceous earth, food grade, spread on floors, left for a few days and swept up will kill them.

I have moved into a house where the previous occupants were lazy about cleaning and didn't bother to treat the problem, the above will get rid of them but they can easily fly in and start all over again. I keep all my bedding in bags too, everything that is not in regular use is bagged up.

They do eat fabric, it looks like moth holes.

Monkeyinshoes Wed 29-Mar-17 23:47:02

I've had quite a few pop out from somewhere lately. I see them in my house every spring, larvae (which I'm allergic to) in summer/autumn then nothing over winter until the next year.

They are good at hiding. I've pulled things out, hoovered everything, couldn't find where they were coming from until I tipped up the sofa and unzipped the fabric underneath. The buggers have been hiding right inside the back edge of the sofa frame.

So start looking under, behind, inside (if you can) big furniture. They like dark, undisturbed places.

Supershiv1 Sat 01-Apr-17 13:55:19

I've put pheromone traps down to try and entice them out of hiding. Have a large superking bed with massive headboard and I think they might be in there..... 😬
I think I might get professionals in as I am struggling to get to sleep. Not seen any in 24 hours and the pheromone trap has nothing on it so I don't know if I've actually managed to solve the problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now