Talk

Advanced search

Removing marks from wooden table

(8 Posts)
chloechloe Sat 19-Nov-16 14:24:02

My beloved wooden dining room table (oiled walnut) has got several marks on it that I don't know how best to remove - a water mark, a few shiny patches and some small drops of something unidentifiable that don't want to come off! I've tried using the special cleaner I have for my wooden floors but without any result.

I want to give the table a good coat of oil to try and prevent future mishaps but don't know whether this will impregnate the marks if I don't get them out first. Any tips gratefully received!

nonsensicaltruth Sat 19-Nov-16 16:32:24

Am very surprised that the special cleaner that you have hasn't cleaned the marks off. The only other cleaner i can recommend for wooden furniture is this cleaner

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Sat 19-Nov-16 21:10:07

Colron ring remover... try that!

memyselfandaye Sat 19-Nov-16 21:13:12

We had a french polisher in to do an oak sideboard, he used a linseed oil/turps solution.

wowfudge Sun 20-Nov-16 04:44:50

If it's oiled wood could you use steel wool then re-oil it?

chloechloe Sun 20-Nov-16 13:23:48

Thanks for the tips ladies. There is actually such thing as a ring remover!? I am slightly more excited than I should be about that! blush

I'm worried that steel wool might be to abrasive as it has quite a smooth finish - maybe I'll give it a go on the underside and see what happens.

Solasum Sun 20-Nov-16 13:24:34

Ring remover is great

DesignedForLife Sun 20-Nov-16 15:02:13

Try rubbing a walnut over it (the nut not the shell) the oil in it does some weird magic thing that heals loads of scratches on different types of polished/varnished wood

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now