Talk

Advanced search

New house and the kitchen cabinets are impregnated with cooking spices

(15 Posts)
Homebird8 Thu 17-Nov-16 00:47:11

What can I do? I love a good curry but don't want everything I put in these kitchen drawers to smell of the spices that were previously stored in them.

I will try bicarb but should I make a solution or a paste and how long do I leave it?

Any other suggestions anyone? Would bleach help? It's not something I keep in but I could get some.

user1477282676 Thu 17-Nov-16 07:38:11

I'd bleach them myself. If that didn't work, then I'd try dettol.

walruswhiskers Thu 17-Nov-16 07:43:14

Id leave a bowl of bicarbonate in the cupboard as this can absorb the smell. Bleach etc first to make sure there is no obvious taint.

atticusclaw2 Thu 17-Nov-16 07:44:38

surely the magic Zoflora would help?

IEatCannibals Thu 17-Nov-16 07:46:11

Zoflora for sure.

ShatnersBassoon Thu 17-Nov-16 07:47:16

Zoflora and lots of airing.

wooooofudge Thu 17-Nov-16 08:03:46

Not Zoflora - you'll just be adding to the smell. Try a bowl of bicarb on each shelf for several days with the doors closed and I'd try taking the doors off temporarily to air it all after that.

wooooofudge Thu 17-Nov-16 08:04:13

And clean everything thoroughly with sugar soap first.

atticusclaw2 Thu 17-Nov-16 08:05:34

You could always paint the inside of the drawers once you've tried the airing and the bicarb. That should help.

Homebird8 Thu 17-Nov-16 20:19:44

Thanks everyone. I now have bleach so that is the next job.

I like the idea of putting bowls of bicarb inside. Does it need to be dry or moist? I though I might need to spread it somehow over the surfaces. Does it really work in a bowl?

I think I have some sugar soap too but other than the smell the drawers are pretty clean. No grease and no dusty grime, still no harm in trying. I might do that before the bleach if I can find it in the heap of boxes in the garage.

You wonderous cleaners who took the time to help me, thank you. I'll report back.

sleepingbeauty27 Fri 18-Nov-16 08:18:48

I would try this kitchen deodorizer stick one in your kitchen cabinet and that should do the trick.

SuePerkins Fri 18-Nov-16 21:19:46

I had some smelly drawers in a previous place. I made a paste from bicarb and a little water and rubbed it all over the inside of the drawers and left it over night. Then wiped it out the day after, sprayed with vinegar and left that a couple of hours and wiped over. Left to air dry thoroughly and they were much better.

SuePerkins Fri 18-Nov-16 21:20:46

Oh and dry bicarb left in a dish etc will absorb smells if they linger.

Homebird8 Sat 19-Nov-16 19:38:31

Thanks again everyone, it seems that you cracked it. I sugar soaped and allowed it to dry and then used bleach. Once the inevitable smell of swimming pools had been displaced by the bread I was baking I have lovely odour free drawers. I'll keep the bicarb in bowls as a trick up my sleeve for another occasion. smile

wowfudge Sun 20-Nov-16 20:06:06

Good to hear!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now