Coffee pod machine with hot water dispenser

(8 Posts)
happylass Mon 14-Nov-16 19:48:26

Hi. DH wants to get a coffee pod machine but I'm not thrilled at adding another gadget to our already cluttered kitchen work tops. A compromise would be a machine that also dispenses hot water so that we can get rid of the kettle. Thinking along the lines of Tassimo or Dolce Gusto but struggling to find anything reasonably priced. Not keen to buy anything too expensive as I'm not convinced he'll use it. Have seen a few You Tube videos on adapting the Tassimo cleaning disc to dispense hot water but I'm sceptical that the water would then taste of coffee. Any advice or recommendations please?

PolterGoose Mon 14-Nov-16 20:37:58

I've not used it as a hot water machine but the Tassimo is very good at cleaning itself after it dispenses a drink so the next drink isn't 'contaminated'. The cleaning disk works fine to produce hot water, however, it won't be hot enough to brew tea properly.

happylass Mon 14-Nov-16 21:47:20

Thanks Polter. The hack I saw on You Tube involved covering the barcode on the cleaning disk with one from a tea pod therefore ensuring the water is hot enough. Alternatively I've seen you can buy special 'hot water' discs that will do similar. Good to know the water won't taste of the previous drink though.

e1y1 Mon 14-Nov-16 22:53:05

YY to Tassimo cleaning itself after a drink is dispensed. I love my Tassimo, used almost everyday.

I'm actually on my 3rd one (replaced due to upgrading, not broken).

THIS is my current one, is brilliant.

If you can hold out until Black Friday, Tassimo usually always go on offer (the one before my current one was a Black Friday purchase for £29.99!)

e1y1 Mon 14-Nov-16 22:55:00

*and that was last years Black Friday.

BunloafAndCrumpets Mon 14-Nov-16 22:57:46

I'd be worried about throwing out my kettle! Do these machines make enough hot water for cooking with, e.g. Making stock / putting on some peas?

I have a perfect prep machine and have long wished there was a 'parent button' for instant tea (safely separate from the baby button of course..!) grin

e1y1 Mon 14-Nov-16 23:03:39

It would depend on what Tassimo you get (there are about 10 different models).

The water tank(s) ranges from 800ml to 2L (average kettle is 1.8L).

My current Tmo has a 1.4L water tank (and a Brita Filter built in to boot).

happylass Mon 14-Nov-16 23:45:07

Yes Bun that's my concern. Although I probably would just stash the kettle away somewhere, but would definitely need the hot water for cooking.
e1y1 thanks for the tip re Black Friday. Can wait until then to see if I can pick up a bargain.
Wonder if there is a pod machine that just dispenses hot water as standard. I drink quite a lot of herbal teas which I don't think are available as pods. Seems like such a basic function!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now