Talk

Advanced search

Length of washing machine cycle has increased - please help

(6 Posts)
cantpickusername Mon 14-Nov-16 12:31:58

My washing machine cycles have always been painfully long but since we moved house they've increased.

A 60C wash used to take just over 2 hours. Since we moved the machine the same cycle is now taking 4.5 - 5 hours.

Is there a logical explanation to this? Is there anything I can do to make it better?

e1y1 Mon 14-Nov-16 12:36:39

Unless the machine is breaking (possible damaged in the move). The only other thing that would normally cause the machine to extend the cycle is water pressure - if the washer pressure is lower in the new property, then the machine will take longer to fill with water - but 4+ hours seems excessive, even with a weak water flow.

Other that that, as it seems to be on the 60c wash, it could be the heater on the way out.

DiscoMike Mon 14-Nov-16 12:37:44

Mine does this when it's not draining properly - it's got a very long hose hmm which gets kinked or filled with limescale. Usually find something caught in the filter as well. Have you checked the filter?

PinkSwimGoggles Mon 14-Nov-16 12:39:39

yes to not draining properly.
or is the water pressure lower or the water not turned on fully (=slower filling) at the new place?

cantpickusername Mon 14-Nov-16 12:55:07

Thanks for suggestions. One thing I've noticed is that the u-bend the drainage hose goes into is quite high up, probably a foot above the top of the washing machine. Could this be causing the issue?

I'll have my partner check the water pressure for the washing machine. It's rather low at the kitchen tap but high in the bathroom.

megletthesecond Mon 14-Nov-16 12:58:02

Not draining properly IME.

If you haven't already done it you need to check the filter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now