Talk

Advanced search

Please help me turn these grease encrusted pots into sparkly things of beauty

(12 Posts)
SleepFreeZone Wed 09-Nov-16 10:15:06

I've been gifted a load of copper pots and pans. They are actually in really good nick, all with lids, however the outside of them all is grim.

I managed to polish up the small pan really well with silver polish and elbow grease. The bottom is still a bit ingrained but the dudes look brilliant. I decided to attack the frying pan with lemon and salt. That worked a tiny bit. Then I tried vinegar and salt and that has done something. My problem is the sticky yellow grease, it just doesn't want to come off. I've even tried oven cleaner on the base but nothing 😁😁

SleepFreeZone Wed 09-Nov-16 10:15:27

*sides

Twoevils Wed 09-Nov-16 10:16:37

Bio washing powder.

80sWaistcoat Wed 09-Nov-16 10:21:58

Or sugar soap.

SleepFreeZone Wed 09-Nov-16 10:24:11

Is this a soaking thing? Hot water?

CondensedMilkSarnies Wed 09-Nov-16 10:24:23

Could you put the smaller pots in a big pot and cook rhubarb in with them ?

SleepFreeZone Wed 09-Nov-16 10:33:29

Possibly 🤓

LadyMonicaBaddingham Wed 09-Nov-16 10:35:07

Biological washing powder. Hot water. Soak overnight, then a good scrub. Works miracles

bookbook Wed 09-Nov-16 10:36:14

very hot water and cillit bang power cleaner/degreaser - may need to do it a few times if they are really bad though this one

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 09-Nov-16 10:46:29

I second the Cillit bang degrease provided it won't damage the copper. It's so powerful you can tell where you've sprayed because it wipes off where all around stays put. Marvellous stuff

SleepFreeZone Wed 09-Nov-16 12:23:28

Oooooh the Cilit Bang sounds hopeful. I am close to giving up as I've tried sugar soap and nothing, Brillo pads and nothing, oven cleaner and a little something but not enough 😁😁

Janek Wed 09-Nov-16 12:29:49

Cif kitchen cleaner has removed yellow grease from the back of my hob, so may also work...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now