Dusting. Urgh.

(13 Posts)
building2016 Wed 02-Nov-16 15:33:54

I am astonished at how dusty my house gets. I honestly don't understand where it all comes from. No hairy pets. Very little DIY. Everyone but me out at work and school all day.

I usually either damp dust (but hate the sort of black trails that get left everwhere) or use a dust puppy (?) microfiber mitt thing, which is fine. Both involve picking up every damp thing and I'm wondering about whether feather dusters work. Could I really just sort of swish it over a shelf of ornaments and pick up the dust that way? Or does it really just stir the dust up?

DaughterDrowningInJunk Wed 02-Nov-16 15:55:04

Feather duster is fine for ornaments, but not the same as damp dusting. Have you got a brush attachment on your vacuum cleaner?

Sixisthemagicnumber Wed 02-Nov-16 15:56:39

I use the brush bit in the Hoover so the dust is sucked up instead of being spread around.

building2016 Wed 02-Nov-16 16:28:40

So I can try the brush attachment on the hoover for clear surfaces but probably not a good idea for a shelf full of knives as I would just knock them over, wouldn't I?

building2016 Wed 02-Nov-16 16:28:59

*knick knacks, not knives!

Mcchickenbb41 Wed 02-Nov-16 18:03:33

Hi op. My house is ridiculously dusty. I live on a very busy road and apparently that's the cause. Do you ?

Mcchickenbb41 Wed 02-Nov-16 18:13:25

Btw baby wipes are good for painted surfaces. I always use them for picture rails, banisters door frames and skirting boards.

Sixisthemagicnumber Wed 02-Nov-16 18:21:41

Get rid of the Nick nacks and problem solved. Nick nacks are nothing but dust collectors.

MikeUnicornMike Wed 02-Nov-16 22:35:01

Baby wipes are brilliant for cleaning stuff but can damage some surfaces.

RavioliOnToast Wed 02-Nov-16 22:36:18

I bought some dusting wipes. TBH, I rarely dust though- maybe once a week/10days

Feather duster here.

Shake outside first (fresh air charge) then go through each room (high level to low level) shaking off outside to recharge and go again.

Tv is the biggest culprit and I hate having the sun shining in and highlighting the dust. Polish much less find the feather duster easier, I've one for downstairs and one upstairs.

I'm allergic to what I call heavy dust, this I found out when having building work done which is mainly why I now keep on top of it.

building2016 Fri 04-Nov-16 17:40:01

Thank you all. I am a somewhat busy road but not that bad. Does explain some of it though.

malin100 Sun 06-Nov-16 08:54:15

Ha! Images of dusting your shelf full of knives just made me choke on my coffee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now