Handheld vacuums - I am clueless...

(6 Posts)
ChipmunkSundays Wed 02-Nov-16 09:16:51

Vacuuming is my most-hated household job. I read about these game changing light "handheld vacuums" on MN but despite extensive internet research I still don't really understand them and don´t want to make an expensive mistake. So, a couple of questions...

Are handheld/cordless/upright vacuums all the same thing? Or are some of them still ones you have to drag about on the floor, and/or have cords?

How much of a big deal is bagged vs bagless? (I assume this means that you empty the whole machine rather than changing the bag?) Which is better, and why?

I gather that the Dyson (or was it the Vax, or the Bosch? I´ve forgotten already) has a button you have to hold down all the time. I think this would probably drive me mad. Is this a common feature?

Basically I want something really light and handheld, preferably long and stick-shaped, that I can just point at the mess while still standing pretty much upright, without the constant stooping and bending that vacuuming involves (as I have a painful back). Which one would be most likely to suit me?

ChipmunkSundays Wed 02-Nov-16 09:17:52

Should have said that I will probably have to order online due to being out in the sticks, hence my nervousness about making a mistake as I won´t be able to look at it in the shop first.

Woopsiedaisy Wed 02-Nov-16 09:20:29

Watching with interest.

I am also struggling to know which to go for and having made an expensive mistake with a useless cordless handheld, want to hear views from day to day users.

ChipmunkSundays Wed 02-Nov-16 09:43:45

Which model did you get, Woopsiedaisy?

Woopsiedaisy Wed 02-Nov-16 19:32:51

A Black & Decker Dustbuster.

But need to make it clear this is a little handheld. No wand or anything and actually a total waste of £50 +

I bought it after reading fab revues. Hence my caution now at investing in a cordless without plenty of positive feedback.

RavioliOnToast Wed 02-Nov-16 22:06:22

I have the dyson v6. I absolutely adore it. It makes everything so easy. Easy to clean too. It hangs in a corner of our kitchen unnoticed! It's brilliant

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now