Any one in the same slump as me

(6 Posts)
Namechangermagic Fri 28-Oct-16 13:47:44

Does anyone else struggle to make their home feel more homely with toddlers. I feel like any decor I buy gets broken pulled apart torn down. Anytime I think about buying something all I can think of oh the Dc's will wreck it. I can never seem to get around to putting anything on the wall I have hooks 2 shelves and a picture to hang and they just sit there looking at me. Tried to put up the picture with command strips it fell off the wall during the night.

Does anyone have any toddler proof home decor or anything to get me out of this slump pinterest seems so unrealistic .

redtop1 Sat 29-Oct-16 16:47:17

I know exactly what you mean! I haven't really got any solutions, but have found that large wicker baskets to throw toys in at the end of the day keeps the room (living room in our case) slightly more "grown up" looking. Likewise for hats, gloves scarves at the door.
I've embraced coordinating colourful home accessories - picture frames/ candles (on high shelf), cushions etc. I figure there's no point aiming for a neutral room with all the garish stuff toddlers have lying around anyway. May as well go with a colourful house.
Im toying with the idea of string lights to make our home a bit more cosy, but I think they'll have to be battery LED ones, the baby would just pull the wires of anything that needs plugging in. The battery candles you get in packs can look fairly good and obviously safer than real candles and can make a room feel cosier.
That's all I have for you I'm afraid. Hope you get some other ideas soon!

crayfish Sat 29-Oct-16 16:53:11

Me. My house is a shrine to hideous plastic crap. I hate clutter and love sophisticated soft furnishings and things like fancy candles but can't really have either now. I am just trying to accept that for a few years this is DS's house more than mine and I can have it back when he's old enough. sad

PotatoHolic Sat 29-Oct-16 20:11:35

Me too, and can't have wicker baskets because the bloody cat would shred them!
Bought a low pile rug when I would have loved a shaggy one... imagine the crumbs etc in a shag pile rug.

Namechangermagic Fri 04-Nov-16 18:33:04

I bought a shag pile rug and it was awful finding an inexpensive low pile one is so hard though I'm finding I need to buy a new rug every year at least with the Dc's and the dog.

I've got one picture up at least need to get the drill out for the other.

SugarNspiceNallThingsNice Fri 04-Nov-16 18:44:36

It's exactly the same in my house. My new kitchen table that I've only had since spring has ink stains and dents from kids banging cutlery. New tv unit scratched with hot wheels cars, torn wallpaper and writing on walls! Also lipstick on walls too! I don't bother having ornaments, there's just no point! Not until they're bigger. I also have trouble with rugs, but that's down to the cat digging his claws in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now