Talk

Advanced search

How much water comes out of your washing machine filter after each wash?

(14 Posts)
weresquirrel Wed 26-Oct-16 12:09:30

After each wash I empty the filter and about a quarter of a bucket of water comes out and I hear the pipe gurgling as the water comes out. Is this normal? How much water comes out of the filter when you clean it normally (after each wash) if I may ask?

FV45 Wed 26-Oct-16 12:10:18

I have no clue what you are talking about!
My machine has a filter? I need to empty it? Boggle

sleepyhead Wed 26-Oct-16 12:14:47

You don't need to clean it after each wash.

But yes, whether you clean it every day, every month, every year or every 5 years (me..) about that much water will come out.

weresquirrel Wed 26-Oct-16 12:51:23

I empty it after each wash because the machine was starting to smell a bit musty. Just wasn't sure how much water was "normal" when opening the filter to clear out debris. There seemed to be a lot but guess that is normal?

Flingmoo Wed 26-Oct-16 12:52:58

Washing machines have filters?! blush

Coconutty Wed 26-Oct-16 12:54:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Imnotaslimjim Wed 26-Oct-16 12:54:43

It does sound normal, it isn't just sat in the filter, it's in the pipe leading from the drum.

You don't need to empty it every time though. If it's smelling musty, wipe around the rubber seals with white vinegar and make sure the outward drain pipe is flowing properly.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Wed 26-Oct-16 12:56:06

One of the reasons I only clean ours once every couple of years is because of the amount of water that comes out, it's a right PITA. I put a thick towel in front of the machine to catch it all.

PinkSwimGoggles Wed 26-Oct-16 12:57:37

sounds normal. (bathtowel full of water here).
but I don't clean it after every wash, 2 or 3 times a year more like to retrieve hair bobbles and coins

weresquirrel Wed 26-Oct-16 13:04:49

I've just been emptying it after each wash because it seemed like so much water was getting backed up that I assumed if I didn't empty it then there would be a load of dank water sitting in the machine making it smell mouldy (not sure if it works like that though grin).

AwakeCantSleep Wed 26-Oct-16 13:10:36

Regarding smelly washing machines, best thing is to leave the door ajar after every wash, and pull out the drawer too so they can air and the moisture can escape. I regularly do a maintenance wash (90 deg) with soda crystals and white vinegar, and wipe the folds in the door seal (white vinegar again).

My machine never smells funny, and I have emptied the filter exactly zero times smile I wouldn't even know where to look for a filter on the washing machine.

idontlikealdi Wed 26-Oct-16 13:12:38

Erm i dont even know where the filter is.

If it gets that manky smell I run a hot wash with a lemon and some bicarb in it, seems to do the trick.

I also think that capsules contribute to the smell as they don't dissolve properly. I've gone back to tablets or liquid and it doesn't seem to smell as much.

Oblomov16 Wed 26-Oct-16 13:26:17

After every wash? seriously? I only do it every now and then.

AnnieAutumnMouse Wed 26-Oct-16 13:47:49

That sounds excessive to me. I get about a cupful of water from mine when I empty it. Check your drain hose isn't kinked, and run a very hot wash on empty, with detergent and vinegar, to give it a good clean out and destink it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now