Just spent 3 days flat drying cardigan, now it smells off damp.

(10 Posts)
Bubblebloodypop Fri 21-Oct-16 16:12:33

I'm so annoyed. I love this cardigan and want to wear it but it's dry flat so takes forever to dry and never smells fresh when it's done. I've been laying it flat on two chairs next to a radiator (on for about an hour a day)

How can I get it to dry quicker?

OhTheRoses Fri 21-Oct-16 16:14:05

Leave the radiator on.

PolterGoose Fri 21-Oct-16 16:16:54

Put it outside if you've got a bright dry day.

I tend to hang 'dry flat' things on hangers.

You'll need to re-wash it asap.

Bubblebloodypop Fri 21-Oct-16 16:17:31

I really can't afford to do that. I got the cardigan to keep me warm in cold house. It's a big false economy if I then have to leave the radiator on to dry it.

Bubblebloodypop Fri 21-Oct-16 16:20:03

Polter it's back in the washer now and I'll try hanging it tomorrow.

AnotherEmma Fri 21-Oct-16 16:23:28

I have a dehumidifier that I use when hanging clothes to dry indoors. It dries them faster without needing to put the heating on. Definitely worth the investment - cheaper than a tumble drier or extra heating costs!

TimTamTerrier Fri 21-Oct-16 16:25:47

Roll it in a towel, swiss roll style, and apply pressure to take most of the water out. It should dry much faster then.

80sMum Fri 21-Oct-16 16:28:01

I'm another who ignores the "dry flat" instructions and just hangs things on hangers.

Very heavy items can sometimes stretch a bit under their own weight, especially if only spun on slow speed. So, make sure you use the fastest spin your machine has to offer before hanging the cardigan up to dry. Put it in your warmest room.

Bubblebloodypop Fri 21-Oct-16 16:58:47

TimTamTarrier that's genius thank you!

GeorgeTheThird Fri 21-Oct-16 17:07:29

Yeah you have to roll it and change the towel, more than once if the cardigan is really thick wool. My gran taught me that. Also - use scented fabric conditioner or delicate wash? The vanish delicate wash is quite strong smelling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now