Talk

Advanced search

How do I get the house to smell nice when we are away?

(10 Posts)
Letmesleepalready Fri 21-Oct-16 15:54:14

Every time we go on holiday, our place smells really stale by the time we come back. We obviously empty bins and clean before leaving, but is there anything we can use to freshen it up while we are away?
I was thinking maybe reed diffusers might help, but I didn't know if there was anything else we could try? I dream of coming home to a lovely tidy and nice smelling place!

Shannoncan Sat 22-Oct-16 15:16:06

We've got an aroma diffuser in our home and it smells lovely.

Clankboing Sat 22-Oct-16 15:25:55

Our house has very old wooden floors and we have a similar problem. When we come back the house smells weird. We tend to partially open small windows, which helps a bit. I suppose you could squirt bleach or disinfectant into the toilet(s) and sinks, and use shake n vac on the carpets. Ideally I like to give everywhere a quick clean before going but I hate being overtired before a holiday!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 22-Oct-16 15:28:53

Buy Unstoppables, put some in a bowl, they are far better than air freshners ime.

Artandco Sat 22-Oct-16 15:30:57

We leave the windows open, but i suppose that depends on your house and area? Our flat is 5 floors up so unles a burglar erected scaffolding I think we are good! Do you have air vents on your windows at least?

Letmesleepalready Sat 22-Oct-16 15:48:22

No air vents, and I don't think DH would be happy leaving the windows open. We do have windows open when we are here, which is why the smell always seems worse when we've been away.
I've never bought unstoppables as we don't usually bother with putting fabric freshener in the wash. But I will give that a go!
I didn't want anything that I needed to keep plugged in while we are away, or do you not plug the aroma diffuser in?
I'm hoping that mopping everything with Zoflora before we leave next time might help, as it's much stronger than what we usually use, scent wise.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 22-Oct-16 16:34:47

Don't leave the windows open as it will invalidate your insurance.

Hoppinggreen Sat 22-Oct-16 16:37:09

I usually do a towel wash and then hang them on the clothes dryer before we go away.
When we get back the house smells of fabric softener

coolpotato Sat 22-Oct-16 19:33:07

Bug zoflora down the sink, drain overflows and in the loos. Don't wash away or flush before you go.

coolpotato Sat 22-Oct-16 19:33:18

Bung not bug

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now