Talk

Advanced search

Old musty smell in chest of drawers

(7 Posts)
AlinaDS Tue 18-Oct-16 11:19:29

Hi,

I have a really lovely old chest of drawers for my daughters room but I can't get rid of the musty smell inside the drawers. I've tried putting them out in the sun and using cedar blocks but nothing has worked. I'm on the verge of having to get rid of them because I obviously don't want to put my dd clothes in the drawers smelling as they do. It would be a huge shame to have to get rid of them as I've literally spent hours and hours restoring them but if the smell doesn't go they will have to go.
Does anybody have any suggestions???

Thanks

Undersmile Tue 18-Oct-16 11:24:39

I presume it's just that the wood has soaked up the smell.
Is it worth trying placing all the drawers outside, sprinkling bicarb of soda in each, leaving a few hours then vacuuming out? Do underneaths too (I.e. tup them over).
Can you tell if it's the drawers or the frame?
Scented drawer liners may help, but likely clothing will then smell of artificial scent as well as mustiness, sorry.
Have you painted inside the drawers? Maybe it would seal in the smell?

ppeatfruit Tue 18-Oct-16 13:07:22

You could make your own neutralising spray with mint essential oil. Which is lovely .

I 2nd the bicarb . White vinegar is neutralising too. Maybe wipe with some. Then use the mint.

urbanas Tue 18-Oct-16 17:41:03

An absorber device in the drawer would clear the smell up. Leave it in there for a day or so.

dodobookends Tue 18-Oct-16 17:42:35

Scented cat litter. Leave in there for a couple of weeks. Will also dry the wood out if a bit damp.

LaundryQueenHatesIroning Wed 19-Oct-16 16:53:47

These suggestions sound really good, AlinaDS I'd be interested to know if you have success with any of them as that musty smell you speak of is always what puts me off buying vintage drawers for my home.

ppeatfruit Thu 20-Oct-16 09:58:29

Is the 'musty' smell just the smell of the pine wood that they are made of though? It's a lovely smell.. We have a couple of them and they smell lovely, it's anti insect too (naturally).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now