Talk

Advanced search

How can I dry my washing??!!

(63 Posts)
Mumonthesofa Sun 16-Oct-16 19:18:29

So autumn has finally set in and I am resigned to drying washing in airers again - does anyone have any tips to speed up the drying process?! It takes at least two full days to dry and they still feel damp! This evening I have resorted to shutting the door to the utility room and putting the heater on in there, with the window open a little, it seems to have worked to get the school uniforms dry but doesn't feel viable as a long term solution! I usually leave them in the kitchen as the door to the utility is usually open to allow the pets access. I sometimes move the airers in front of the radiator but this leaves little space for manoeuvre and doesn't seem to speed up drying much. I don't over fill them either. Any tips greatly received!

Mummyshortlegz Sun 16-Oct-16 19:21:01

Can you get a spin dryer to get them as dry as possible or do a couple of extra spins? Hang outside if it is dry and any wind / sunshine as the aggetation will help. Lots of rotating the clothes and turning them over and put them somewhere breezy / warm

newtothenet Sun 16-Oct-16 19:21:06

Dehumidifier next to the dryer - everything's dry overnight.

usual Sun 16-Oct-16 19:21:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kimlo Sun 16-Oct-16 19:22:42

a drier or a heated airer is the only way really.

cozietoesie Sun 16-Oct-16 19:24:25

If you already have a great deal of moisture in the air, things are going to take a long time to let their moisture go. (There's nowhere for it. wink)

A dehumidifier would help out enormously.

BishopBrennansArse Sun 16-Oct-16 19:27:26

DH got one of those pressure fit shower rails and put it between two close together walls right next to a window.

We put our tops on hangers, trousers on the rack and space them well. Duvet covers over doors.

Mycraneisfixed Sun 16-Oct-16 19:28:44

If you have the luxury of a utility room get yourself a Lakeland electric clothes airer. Costs just under £100 I think. I bought one but passed it to my DD as I don't have the space to keep it up all the time. DD has it on 12 hrs a night and it keeps the utility room warm (dogs love it !) and dries everything. Costs a penny or two an hour to run.

carmenta Sun 16-Oct-16 19:29:00

Dehumidifier. We have this one and it's brilliant - everything dries overnight.

ShowOfHands Sun 16-Oct-16 19:30:37

I dry outside as much as possible. Even if not bone dry, it removes some moisture. Then inside I use heated airers and a dehumidifier.

ShowOfHands Sun 16-Oct-16 19:31:37

Aldi sell heated airers. Mine was under £15.

MrsGsnow18 Sun 16-Oct-16 19:31:39

I could have written the original post! I hate when it takes the clothes so long to dry as sometimes they spell bad once finally dry ( a horrible damp smell)
I got a heated air drier from Lakeland, it's cheap to run and gets a load of washing dry within a day, I leave it on over night too.
For towels, bedding and large things I try to get them out on the line for at least a while and then sometimes resort to putting the heating on for a few hours so I can hang them over warm radiators. I'm not sure if I'll survive another winter without caving and getting a tumbler though sad

CMOTDibbler Sun 16-Oct-16 19:32:25

I have a dehumidifier and its brilliant

PinkSwimGoggles Sun 16-Oct-16 19:33:17

extra spin.
heated airer (saves you putting the heating on)
dehumidifier in the utility room

Letmesleepalready Sun 16-Oct-16 19:34:54

We have the dehumidifier and heaters on, but first we spin things in the washing machine. That second spin makes a massive difference. And we try to dry as much outside as possible, when it's not tipping down.

SpotTheDuck Sun 16-Oct-16 19:37:06

Lakeland heated airers are great - I put a load of washing on in the evening and it's dry by morning.

scurryfunge Sun 16-Oct-16 19:37:51

I have a heated airier too. My tumble drier is in the shed for emergency "I've got no pants" scenario. I put stuff on the line if it's not pouring down and move it about the house to air on a rotation. If it needs to go on a radiator then it is put on one without wallpaper. I've just moved from a 6 bed farmhouse to a 2 bed cottage and I am missing my laundry room but will cope.grin

Mumonthesofa Sun 16-Oct-16 19:43:24

Thank you for the replies! I think I'll look at getting a dehumidifier but will definitely go for a second spin in the washer. I do have a tumble dryer but it is solely used for underwear towels and bedding, I've had too many shrinkage experiences with it!

NicknameUsed Sun 16-Oct-16 20:01:55

I know what you mean. I use a tumble dryer for clothes/towels/bedding and an airer with a dehumidifier for everything else.

sonlypuppyfat Sun 16-Oct-16 20:07:23

I couldn't be without my tumble dryer I know it's expensive but it's better than damp in the air and living like widow twanky

vghifcqueen Sun 16-Oct-16 20:10:18

Tumble drier. I just don't understand how in this day and age people don't use them in this country. I'd say 90% of my washing goes in the drier. I've done 6 lads today and it's all dry and back in the cupboards bar a few sweatshirts and a couple of pairs of tracksuit bottoms

Bambambini Sun 16-Oct-16 20:15:21

Because it's much better to dry outside on a windy day than tumbledry. I use the dryer just st the end for 5 mins so i don't need to iron.

Also use a dehumidifier- they're great and you don't have to have stuff all over your radiators all the time in winter.

BishopBrennansArse Sun 16-Oct-16 20:20:49

I have a mvhr which removes the moisture. Because of this and the fact my house is around 25 degrees all year with no heating on (it's a passivhaus) stuff dries quite quickly. Tumble driers cost me a bomb. I know I'm lucky by the way.

DubiousCredentials Sun 16-Oct-16 20:22:43

You've done 6 lads today vghifcqueen? And had time for laundry? grin

NicknameUsed Sun 16-Oct-16 20:25:17

What's a mvhr?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now