Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone insure their white goods?

(22 Posts)
WatcherOfTheNight Sun 16-Oct-16 13:56:34

Boring thread alert confused

My washing machine guarantee is about to run out & I'm debating if it's worth insuring?
I've had a letter offering a care plan of £73 a year for 3 years which includes all repairs & replacement if deemed unrepairable.
Wondering if that is a good price?

If you insure your machine would you recommend the company you use?
Machine is an Lg inverter Direct Drive smart diagnosis & is used very frequently,at least once a day if that helps .

ayeokthen Sun 16-Oct-16 14:00:10

We use legal and general for tumble drier, washing machine and fridge freezer. I was sceptical at first but it's been worth it's weight in gold. Had new ones of all 3 in the last 6 years, because they're made to fail.

WatcherOfTheNight Sun 16-Oct-16 14:08:04

Thanks Aye,I'll have a look at them,washing machine and tumble are both around 2 years old,we've only had the fridge freezer a few months.

ayeokthen Sun 16-Oct-16 14:09:54

We're £23 a month for all 3, however they replace without quibble when needed. The last lot left me 6 weeks with no washing machine and I was livid!

WatcherOfTheNight Sun 16-Oct-16 14:10:22

When we bought the washing machine we'd had the washer,dryer,dyson & iron all go within a few weeks of each other,don't want that again!

ayeokthen Sun 16-Oct-16 14:11:31

I've had that before, total nightmare! At least if you're insured they'll get fixed/replaced rather than having to stump up all that cash at once.

Nanasueathome Sun 16-Oct-16 14:14:42

Domestic and General is the company I use

WatcherOfTheNight Sun 16-Oct-16 14:16:32

That's a good price Aye.
What sort of company leaves you with no machine for 6weeks ?!?shock
I would've been evil over that,I've so much washing I can hardly go a day without using it never mind weeks.

WordGetsAround Sun 16-Oct-16 14:20:23

No way. If you saved £25 a month you'd have an account for replacing white goods and no doubt be quids in.

WatcherOfTheNight Sun 16-Oct-16 14:20:41

Thanks Nana,I'm going to have a look at those online,wondering if I can do the 2 then add on the freezer when the guarantee is up.

ayeokthen Sun 16-Oct-16 14:23:52

It was done through Comet before they went bust (no bloody wonder with customer service like that!) I was fizzing, my machine is on twice a day minimum and I was having to borrow uses of machines from lovely neighbours while mine was busy! Legal and General have been great.

WatcherOfTheNight Sun 16-Oct-16 14:24:27

I've got savings Word but when I had 4 items go near enough altogether it was horrible taking that amount of money out to replace the lot, I could've cried!

WatcherOfTheNight Sun 16-Oct-16 14:26:44

That's what mine is like Aye,between the uniforms,bedding,towels,sports kits,two muddy dogs and all other washing I have considered if I should have 2 at times.grin

ayeokthen Sun 16-Oct-16 14:27:11

Oh if I could fit two in I totally would! grin

2014newme Sun 16-Oct-16 14:29:17

All white goods insured for repair or replacement. £17 per month covers range cooker as well.Just as well have had three repairs this year. I have never bought an appliance un the 15 years I have had the insurance just get replacement

WatcherOfTheNight Sun 16-Oct-16 14:31:27

2014 who is that with?

Soupandasandwich Sun 16-Oct-16 14:46:20

Legal and General here. I've been with them for around 20 years now. Never had a problem and I've had three washing machines replaced in that time, as well as numerous repairs. I'm certain that even if I'd saved my monthly payments I would not have had enough to cover the costs of all that, not when a new circuit board for my machine is around £100 without Labour costs. That alone is a year's insurance payment. And, so far, replacements have always been the current equivalent model is; top of the range to reflect the fact that the first time I took out insurance I had bought top of the range model from a particular manufacturer.

WordGetsAround Mon 17-Oct-16 12:11:22

2014 but you've paid them over £3k in that time! Doesn't seem like such a bargain to me.

Helenluvsrob Mon 17-Oct-16 12:16:53

We have positively decided not to insure white goods.

Even if the repair is covered ( and fair wear and tear may not be ) you are without he appliance till the repair is done- that's waiting for a slot to be free, then the engineer coming out, sucking teeth, trying something or not having the part , and having to come back etc etc PLUS the pain of having to juggle work to be home for a " we'll be there between 8 and 1" type call out....

We, at the moment feel that the inconvenience of all that IF it happens is too much, and we'd rather buy a new one .At least then it's just one delivery slot to wait in if we can't just get it in the back of the car!

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 17-Oct-16 13:17:19

I buy expensive machines in the hope they won't break down for 20 years.

I have family who buy cheaper makes I wouldn't consider & eventually they can't be fixed so they get an equally unreliable make to replace them.

I think if they'd saved that amount in a saving account instead of insurance they'd be knee deep in Miele appliances by now

Kidnapped Mon 17-Oct-16 16:40:37

Our washing machine is 14 years old. Our dishwasher is 12 years old. Bosch and Hotpoint so nothing fancy.

If we'd paid £17 per month for 14 years that's £2856 we'd have forked out.

That £2856 will easily pay for the next 3 brand new washing machines and 3 dishwashers (if we go for the nothing-fancy brands again).

It is also quite easy these days to pick up a second hand washing machine or whatever on gumtree for £50 or so if you are stuck.

With the above in mind, and like others on here, I don't see it as good financial sense to get extra insurance for white goods.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 17-Oct-16 16:43:08

My husband insured his last tv, over the next six years till I bought us a new one he spent £600 on insurance.

The tv was £600 new. Ouch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now