Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else have this problem? Dirt under clear plastic seal on plinths. Solution?

(2 Posts)
unlucky83 Sun 16-Oct-16 10:27:10

I have those clear plastic seal things on the bottom of my plinths. Crumbs etc and even spills work there way underneath the flap on the front and it looks gross. Worse because I have a cream coloured floor.
Does anyone else have this problem?
I have tried wiping under the flap with a cloth, even steaming under there but that just pushed the dirt further back. I have occasionally taken the plinths off and washed the seals. Last time we had a coffee spill the next day and I may as well not gone to the trouble...
It is a faff (and I broke one of the long plinths doing it - it has a crack in it, thankfully not that noticeable. Getting a new plinth is on my things to do list but it is one that will need quite a bit of cutting out etc)
The seals came with the plinths from Ikea - wondering if there are better quality seals out there?
Getting not clear seals might be a good idea but not sure what colour - pale wood plinth and cream floor
I read you can clear silicone seal the plinth to the floor but it is laminate and should be free to move so I don't think I should
The only other thing I can think of is turning them round so the flap bit is facing under the cupboards - so water could get under but still shouldn't blow the chipboard plinth...
Any other solutions? Is it only me with this problem?

FrogFairy Mon 17-Oct-16 00:34:30

New seals can be bought on eBay. Clear, white, brown or black. No cream sadly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now