Talk

Advanced search

Single bad smelling item - is it the elastane? Ink?

(4 Posts)
Sancia Fri 14-Oct-16 16:52:35

I've had this happen before. Basically, the label says '100% cotton' but the item has quite a bit of stretch, feeling more like viscose or jersey. Also, it has only happened with items with a print on - yes, White Stuff and Mantaray :D I know, hate me. They're subtle. Good for pregnancy. And anyway I won't be buying more.

So, yeah, 4th or 5th wash suddenly the item reeks. It's a slightly chemically scent but a bit like damp or fustiness, but stronger. None of the other items smell and it's not the machine - it's brand new. I've washed it over and over again and same thing - everything smells nice, just this single item.

But I've had it before. Eventually I've given up and thrown the item out. I got one fr Ebay once, the 'oh, it's that again' smell hit me out of the envelope. Both times White Stuff (printed cotton tunic, stretch) and this time Mantaray (same). It's something in the fabric or the composition - elastane? The print-ink? Have they fibbed about the fabric?

Does anyone have any ideas to try and rid the item of the smell or has it somehow 'gone off'?

prokupatuskrakedatus Fri 14-Oct-16 17:14:29

I'll mark place here, because I've got the same problem.

2 high quality cotton t-shirts (same make) out of a whole load of washing always come out with this strange smell. They started to smell after about 10 washes, everything else in the load is fine....

Mcchickenbb41 Sat 15-Oct-16 07:33:08

Hi Iv found this with certain items. They just seem to smell what ever you do. And op I absolutely don't doubt you but do you think it's your pregnancy nose making it worse !! When Iv been pregnant my sense of smell was quite freaky wink

Forgetmenotblue Sat 15-Oct-16 07:41:45

I've definitely had this too. An M&S silky type top, some silk in it, but a mixed fabric. Foul fishy/damp smell after being washed. I took it back but they weren't interested in the reason, though I was refunded.

Grim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now