Talk

Advanced search

My kitchen sink won't drain

(14 Posts)
PikachuSayBoo Fri 14-Oct-16 16:43:01

It's the "half sink". The main sink next to it is fine. The plug hole is clear. The sink is full of water. Ive tried plunging it and no luck.m have tipped in a load of caustic soda and no change.

I don't have any Mr muscle sink unblocker stuff in the house.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 14-Oct-16 18:53:40

Is it on a seperate waste trap to the main sink?.

I'd leave it to drain overnight and then bail the water out in the morning if it hasn't worked.

Mr muscles just expensive caustic soda anyway.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 14-Oct-16 19:00:02

Have you tried boiling hot water? Be careful putting anything else down now you've put down caustic soda. Tesco sell long wire drain un blockers for a quid.

PikachuSayBoo Fri 14-Oct-16 19:12:20

I think it's just one trap. Ive topped it up with boiling water but it's not draining at all, still full to the brim. Looks like I will have to get a wire unblocker thing, didn't know there was such a thing! Thanks.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 14-Oct-16 19:15:17

They're over with the cheap £1 stuff like door wedges, tea towel holders etc

HarrietSchulenberg Fri 14-Oct-16 19:17:05

If you get really stuck you can unscrew the U pipe under the sink, drain the water into a bucket and clear out the disgusting gunk that accumulates in there. It's a horrible job so be prepared.
Can you get a sink plunger in the half sink to loosen it all and drain the water first?

PikachuSayBoo Fri 14-Oct-16 19:20:13

Do is back from a month away tonight so if it comes to dirty jobs im leaving it to him! grin

Just wanted the house to be clean/tidy for him coming back as he laughed and said he expected the house to look like a bomb had it hit it with him being away for so long! He does most of the housework and I have the standards of an average student so ive been having a major blast today to prove him wrong and the sink is the only problem!

PikachuSayBoo Fri 14-Oct-16 19:20:35

Dh not do!

Notsoaccidentproneanymore Fri 14-Oct-16 19:20:54

If you have a wire coat hanger you can use that. Just straighten it out, then waggle one end down the pipe through the plug hole. Hopefully agitating the blockage will be enough to move it.

Otherwise, yes, you'll have to unscrew the sink trap, making sure you wear rubber gloves and put a bucket underneath first.

PikachuSayBoo Fri 14-Oct-16 19:22:25

Would a metal kebab skewer work?

PikachuSayBoo Fri 14-Oct-16 19:33:24

Ha, have sorted it......but it wasn't blocked!

I never knew that if you pushed the veg peel catcher thing fully down it acted like a plug! 15 years ive had this sink and never knew. I must have pushed it down too far after sink cleaning earlier.

I shouldn't be allowed to be a grown up!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 14-Oct-16 19:42:44

Ha ha hagrin

Notsoaccidentproneanymore Fri 14-Oct-16 20:48:19

Lol!

At least you sorted it grin

MaynJune Sat 15-Oct-16 10:10:28

Don't feel too daft! I had my sink for several years before I realised that. I used to wonder why there was no plug.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now