Talk

Advanced search

What should I be asking a cleaner to do?

(11 Posts)
Ktkitkatk Thu 13-Oct-16 23:12:03

Hi all I'm new smile
I'm changing to full time hours as of next month and as a single parent of two boys under 6 I worry about how I will keep on top of things. I've spoken to a couple of cleaners who I'm meeting tomorrow.
Both charge £15 an hour for a minimum of 2 hours, I'll be having a weekly clean.
I've never had a cleaner before so I'm unsure what questions u should be asking when they come and what I can reasonably expect from them in that time window. I live in a 2 bed flat with a main bathroom and a shower ensuite. I was thinking:
Hoover and mop floors
Dust living room
Clean kitchen
Clean bathrooms and ensuite
And change bed linen (1 double,2 singles)
Switch a wash on with the bedding she's stripped.
Does that sound ok? Thanks in advance

Redglitter Thu 13-Oct-16 23:12:54

Sounds very reasonable

Ktkitkatk Thu 13-Oct-16 23:35:31

Thanks I think it does too smile

miffy29 Fri 14-Oct-16 00:04:55

Ask yourself: can you do that in two hours? If you only had two hours, is that what you'd do?

e1y1 Fri 14-Oct-16 01:44:54

Agree with miffy. If you can do what you require in the time allotted to the cleaner, then yes it is reasonable.

I've never had a cleaner, (I'm one of those that would clean before they came as I wouldn't want anyone seeing my house uncleaned, and would also after as everyone has different standards grin)

Allofaflumble Fri 14-Oct-16 07:15:41

Many on MN will say they have a cleaner for 2 hours who cleans 3 bathrooms and showers, 5 bedrooms, all through the house and kitchen etc and not only do I find it hard to believe, I think it mercenary to expect so much in such a short time.

celeste83 Fri 14-Oct-16 08:18:14

That list is probably doable for a basic clean but don't expect a detail clean as all those rooms you have listed in a detail clean would take longer than 2 hrs imho.

Allofaflumble Fri 14-Oct-16 09:45:20

When someone says clean kitchen. I think what size? What state is the cooker in? Are all the cupboards and worktops splashed with food? Are there dirty dishes festering in the sink? Is the microwave dirty? Fridge front? All the appliances covered in a greasy film? That's just the kitchen! Minus the floor.

A huge kitchen could take two hours alone! Especially when you factor in busy working parents, teens, and messy kids.

Ktkitkatk Fri 14-Oct-16 11:08:17

I was thinking of asking her to do a 2 hour clean of kitchen one week, a 2 hour bathroom clean the following week then basic clean after that weekly. I will obviously keep on top of stuff as best I can in between. I will leave everything tidy so it's just cleaning not tidying, moving clutter etc.

Allofaflumble Fri 14-Oct-16 11:57:35

That sounds like a really good idea ktik.

Ktkitkatk Sun 16-Oct-16 19:26:54

So I spoke to the lady on Friday. She said it will be no problem to do those jobs and fortnightly she would wipe the skirting so may not have time to do beds. (People wipe their skirting boards?!) shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now