Mat under drying rack?

(7 Posts)
LurkingQuietly Mon 10-Oct-16 13:38:47

Help! I am driving myself insane with google searches that have descended into the ridiculous but still haven't shown up what I'm looking for. I am fairly sure it exists, but perhaps I can't articulate what it is very well. Here goes:

I need something to put underneath my Joseph Joseph drying rack ( http://www.lakeland.co.uk/24779/Joseph-Joseph®-Extend-Expandable-Dish-Drainer-Rack---White-&-Green) that protects my wooden kitchen surfaces (stupid, stupid mistake). The draining board is actually mostly ok and it drains away most of the water but the odd drop/leak is still occurring and despite being less than a year old, my work surface is looking decidedly dodgy.

Is there anything? I have found material drying mats - but do they just hold the water? That would make my issue worse. I think I need a rubber/waterproof mat. Perhaps with a lip? Please help!

ItsLikeSputnik Mon 10-Oct-16 21:11:10

They have this on Amazon, if it would be any use? www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01BPDXKQ6/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1476130136&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=dish+draining+mat&dpPl=1&dpID=51Yo0NpgRCL&ref=plSrch
Sorry, I'm rubbish at links on my phone.

KindDogsTail Mon 10-Oct-16 21:16:35

What about this?

www.lakeland.co.uk/24986/Joseph-Joseph-Flip-Draining-Board-WhiteGrey?gclid=CjwKEAjw-Oy_BRDg4Iqok57a4kcSJADsuDK1p79vxmO-CAhE1DuvlkyLoQB

Lots of different ones on the next link:
www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=draining+mats&tbm=shop

LurkingQuietly Mon 10-Oct-16 21:33:11

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!

unlucky83 Mon 10-Oct-16 21:50:52

For my main drainer I have a white rectangular ikea tray -like this www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/tableware/serveware/smula-tray-transparent-art-40041131/ for under it - I actually have a draining board but find this is easier to keep clean (although it does accumulate a surprising amount of water that I tip down the sink)
I also have a material one - it does hold water but mine does not get so wet or left long enough for the worktop underneath to get wet - the idea is you hang them to dry them after use...
I have a dishwasher but when it was last not working I bought the cheap cloth one and a collapsible drainer - I put the drainer 'in use' on my ikea tray first to get the worst of the water then when full swap drainers - putting the full one on the cloth mat ... I am becoming an expert as my dishwasher is not working again and actually not minding the hand washing up enough to go through the hassle of getting the repair man out/ getting a new one...

sonias27 Tue 11-Oct-16 18:12:37

Eurshine do a waterproof draining matt that you can purchase online here

CarrieMayBe Tue 11-Oct-16 18:34:38

I have one of these on my wooden worktop

ADDIS Drip Tray in Translucent/ Clear www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001CJ12NM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ugs.xb2ADBZ2B

It's not the prettiest thing (it looks like a lid from one of those plastic storage boxes!) but at least it's translucent and it does the job well. It's slightly tilted so the water runs into the sink next to it.

As an aside, don't ever panic about wooden worktops. I see people moaning about them on here/complaining that they're ruined etc. When I bought my house the worktops had been abused for many years previous...think black ring marks, scratches, water damage around the sink, even biro scribbles shock. All I had to do was sand them down to a point where the marks disappeared and oil them. Dead easy and they looked like new. I am careful with them now but I don't obsess as I know how simple it is to sort out any problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now