Talk

Advanced search

Bagged hoovers - terrible idea?

(19 Posts)
HerdofAntilop Mon 10-Oct-16 07:34:43

Last week we discovered a section of cord on our hoover that must have been hoovered because it is all mangled and the insulation has come off in places to the extent that the wires are bare shock. So we need a new hoover (unless I get really lucky and win one!).

I've been looking at the Miele compacts - would work for us as we have limited cupboard space. The downside is they're bagged and I'm used to baffles. Is this a terrible idea? We live in an average sized 3 bed, carpet upstairs and hard floor downstairs. I don't want to have to be replacing the bag every couple of days as that would be too pricey. Would welcome other people's experiences.

sonias27 Mon 10-Oct-16 07:40:45

I use to have a Miele compact about a year ago but i had to replace it after it died on me:-( It was a decent little hoover, i ended up buying a Vonhaus upright cleaner and it's fantastic, it's bagless and has a detectable unit that you can take out and use as a miniature cleaner in your cupboards and stuff. I got mine on the cheap as well from here

Spanielcrackers Mon 10-Oct-16 07:44:30

I have a miele and live in a six bedroom house. I change the bags about once per month. It is a much better vacuum cleaner than any other I've owned, especially the bagless Dyson.

lanbro Mon 10-Oct-16 07:45:31

We've just got the Dyson Cordless V8 Animal, 3 bed house, 2 kids and a dog, and it's fab. Suction is as good as an upright, portable and tiny. Expensive but worth it!

jazzandh Mon 10-Oct-16 07:46:50

From personal experience, the bags last ages (have a Miele). Mine last months (5 bed all hard floors) ...but I don't have pets.

The bags take quite a lot of dust/dirt.

Spanielcrackers Mon 10-Oct-16 07:47:21

My hairdresser loves his gtech. Tells every one to get one.

HerdofAntilop Mon 10-Oct-16 07:48:57

Wow that's is ridiculously cheap, I can see it being good for small clean ups but I'd it really any good for doing the carpets?

Artandco Mon 10-Oct-16 07:51:42

We have a regular size Miele. The bags means the stuff stays inside better and we only change maybe twice a year here for our flat

UnicornMadeOfPinkGlitter Mon 10-Oct-16 07:54:24

I have the Miele cat and dog c2 (I think) it's fab. Don't need to change the bags or filters very often and usually on a 3 for 2 offer in Robert dyas anyway.

It's so much better than the dyson and vax air that I had previously.

NattyTile Mon 10-Oct-16 07:54:55

Bags are great. You can buy generic ones which are cheaper than the branded bags, just do a search on the Hoover make and model to get the one which fits properly.

We had bagless for a while and then went to a Miele. Never going back! If you Hoover something dodgy you just bin the bag and that's that. Whereas bagless you've got a mammoth cleaning job to get it all out. *glares at child who decided to help clean up cream cakes*

Pasithea Mon 10-Oct-16 07:57:28

I have just got a shark had it about a month. Beats my dysons on Mieles hands down and can be used as a n upright canister or handheld.

AverysillyoldHector Mon 10-Oct-16 08:01:43

We've got a Sebo and it's wonderful. It seems to compact the dust (and dog hair) so that the bag needs changing about every6 - 8 weeks. I'd never go back to a Dyson, my Sebo cleans so much better. Owners of Miele and Sebo always seem to say that.

IminaPickle Mon 10-Oct-16 08:02:35

Pasithea I love my shark! Super strong and easy to empty the canister.
I buggered it up be cleaning up ash and Argos replaced it no problem- get it from them.

PinkSwimGoggles Mon 10-Oct-16 08:02:44

bags so so
much better than bagless imo. much cleaner.
miele is a good brand, as is bosch and aeg

Wallywobbles Tue 11-Oct-16 19:47:08

Sebo and Miele here. We pretty much always get Miele - and if I find a ridiculously good offer I buy a spare. 5 bedroom house, dogs, cats, 4 kids, 2 holiday homes and an apartment. All hard floors, but with rugs.

The Sebo is my first - not really had it long enough to comment but it came from a thread on here. DP is very pleased with it in comparison to what he had previously.

ErnesttheBavarian Tue 11-Oct-16 19:54:32

Weirdly I'd say totally the opposite. I swapped from bagged to bagless when we got our dog. We have hard floor throughout. I had a mile. I was filling up a beg every week or 2 and it was quite expensive.

That's why I swapped to a Bosch and I'm so glad I did. I would also say that's an advantage of not having a bag is to easily rescue things that get hoovered up accidentally.

I had a Dyson be for which was cap then the highly recommended miele which.was OK but nothing amazing. My bag free Bosch is much better I would not go back to bags.

shovetheholly Wed 12-Oct-16 08:48:22

I have a bagged Miele - I only need to change the bag every quarter or so, and it clips out really cleanly, which doesn't make any mess. I also have a bagless robot hoover, and it is WAY more of a pain to empty the dirt out of that because it tends to fly everywhere when you upend it.

I have a cat that makes enough mess for an entire zoo, so both get put through their paces. grin

hotdiggedy Fri 14-Oct-16 19:48:22

Sebo is the way forward (with bags!)

rabbit123 Sun 16-Oct-16 23:39:51

Another vote for bags! We got given our Sebo when my MIL upgraded. It's 21 (ish) years old now and still cleans better than anything else I've used. Well, apart from my parent's Kirby which cost a gazillion quid but is over 30 years old and hasn't ever needed repairing.

We bought a Dyson Animal a few years back thinking that the Sebo was old and needed upgrading. What Dyson don't tell you is that you need to wash out the filters to keep the suction up, which is horrible and messy, not to mention they only give you 1 filter so you have to wait for it to dry before you can put it back in and start vacuuming again. Not good in a house with kids and pets.

The Sebo bags take months to fill up and you just throw it away when it's done and put a new one in. It even has these little plastic caps to seal the bag with, so you never actually come into contact with the dirt and there's no filters or plastic bins to wash out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now