Talk

Advanced search

Getting washing REALLY white

(13 Posts)
elvislives2012 Sun 09-Oct-16 21:18:38

Any secrets? I've got two DD- 2&3. Their stuff gets really grubby and I rub vanish on them, then wash them with some vanish granules and then use bio. Still not that white.
I know u can put them outside to get bleached by the sun but that's a faff for a whole load of washing.

FrancisCrawford Sun 09-Oct-16 23:59:29

Bio washing powder/tablets.
Scoop full of napisan.
Wash as normal.

If really grubby looking, put an egg cup of bleach into a basin of cold waster and steep for an hour then wash as above.

Obviously only for whites, no prints etc.

JenLindleyShitMom Mon 10-Oct-16 00:00:36

I use ace bleach.

sonias27 Mon 10-Oct-16 07:47:32

I use this clothes whitener and stain remover

PinkSwimGoggles Mon 10-Oct-16 07:49:50

don't dress toddlers in white...

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Mon 10-Oct-16 07:51:08

Was going to say the same as PinkSwim!

rosesandcashmere Mon 10-Oct-16 07:54:53

I've had lots of success with 2 x scoops of vanish gold for whites powder AND a Dr Beckmann 'glo white' sachet. Even gets OH's white shirts back to white when I accidentally dye them grey/pink in the machine. You will need to put your normal washing powder in with the vanish in the powder slot. Bio does work the best but non bio works too - on a hotter wash.

elvislives2012 Mon 10-Oct-16 09:22:34

Thanks everyone. Good tips.

Liiinoo Mon 10-Oct-16 16:46:53

I found vanish gold made things yellowy. I use the Dr Beckhams sachets in a 60 degree wash with non - bio

treaclesoda Mon 10-Oct-16 16:53:03

this stuff is really good.

Many years ago I was a skint student living in a house with no washing machine, so I had to handwash my clothes in the bath. They didn't take long to go grey, and this brought them up lovely and white again.

heatherwithapee Mon 10-Oct-16 16:54:08

Only wash whites in a white wash. Not lights, no coloured trims.
Soak overnight in a Napisan solution before washing.
Treat stains with Vanish / Astonish.
Use a bio powder (not liquid).
Wash at at least 40 degrees. 60 is even better if all cotton.
Dry outside as often as possible. Even if a bit cloudy, the UV light really helps. You can finish off indoors if needed, but try and get them on the line for a few hours first.

BlondiBleach Mon 10-Oct-16 18:45:45

I highly rate the ecover bleach for your whites wash. I treat stains with napisan overnight before washing.

Wiltom Mon 10-Oct-16 21:10:10

I use Wizz Oxi Powder Laundry Whitener or Vanish but the Wizz is much cheaper. Some people add vinegar to the wash cycle but it has never really done anything for me.

I agree though toddlers and white are a no no. Along with Whites and Labradors :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now