Broken washer/dryer again. Can anybody suggest a new one that is reliable

(10 Posts)
littlemissangrypants Thu 06-Oct-16 17:44:59

Our hoover washer/dryer is broken for second time in a year. Control board is gone again so needs replacing. I'm wondering if it's worth replacing now as I hate the machine. It was not a cheap machine so I'm so annoyed that it keeps breaking. We've had it 3 years so I guess modern machines don't last very long anymore. My last washing machine lasted 10 years.
Anyway can anyone please recommend a washer/dryer that will last and be reliable while it's with us.

poisonedbypen Thu 06-Oct-16 17:47:58

I think washer driers are notoriously poor, I know we had trouble with ours. I don't think hoover are very reliable generally.

WittgensteinsBunny Thu 06-Oct-16 17:53:14

We've had ours for 3.5 years and I've had to have it fixed once, this week because the heating element was furred up with limescale. If I'd have looked after it properly we obviously wouldn't have had the issue. It's a Bosch one. I think it's much better than the others I've had in the past (Hotpoint and Baumatic)

GrubbyWindows Thu 06-Oct-16 18:46:23

We have a £600 one from John Lewis, as recommended by which. We've only had it 2 years, but so far so good. Also at which's recommendation we paid for the extended warranty, as apparently washer-dryers are the one appliance unreliable enough to make it worthwhile.

littlemissangrypants Thu 06-Oct-16 20:41:13

Thanks for the replies. I will go check out some Bosch ones and see what we can find. We did check out our washer/dryer reviews and they all seemed positive but three years on there is a load of complaints about the control boards.
We have to stick with combined washer/dryers as we have very limited space. I better do more research and see what we can find.

NanTheWiser Thu 06-Oct-16 21:51:12

AEG are quite good - my old one was about 13 years old, but I didn't use the dryer on a regular basis - mainly for fluffing towels, or finishing off from line drying. I have just bought a Siemens w/d, after having a complete kitchen refurbish, and I'm very pleased with it, but only time will tell how reliable it is.

GrubbyWindows Fri 07-Oct-16 09:47:47

Yes- I think AEG made our John Lewis ownbrand. We get one or two loads through it every day (all flat with no outdoor space), so in 2 years it has worked hard.

squiggletea Fri 07-Oct-16 13:32:47

2Boschs in a few years meant a change of strategy here.

Happy with the wash on my Beko. Probably cost the same as an extended warranty on a costlier make !
Delivered at my convenience by my local Euronics.

dontcallmelen Sat 08-Oct-16 23:07:02

John Lewis own make, I had a neff one previously & its was rubbish, the JL one has been a revelation, really quite does a quick wash, large drum & the dryer is fab considering it's not a separate appliance.
Mine was about 530.00 with five year warranty, throughly recommend.

FriendofBill Sat 08-Oct-16 23:09:46

Got a Bosch here.
It does go a bit crazy now and then (like, randomly door won't open- have to re wash) it was £500 ish.
Survived a house move though & it's on every day at least once.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now