Talk

Advanced search

Which cordless Dyson shall I buy?

(39 Posts)
Jungfraujoch Thu 06-Oct-16 09:23:01

Desperately need new vacuum so going shopping this weekend!

Have a large house, one dog. All of downstairs is hard floor with exception of one carpeted room.

Upstairs all carpeted.

I was looking at the V6 fluffy or do I really need the Animal for pet hair?
Help!

rosesandcashmere Thu 06-Oct-16 09:29:03

I borrowed the v6 from my brother when my boring old dyson broke. I loved it! Great on hard floors and on carpet too. I would just go with that unless you've a lot of carpet and pets which you don't. Will sort hard floors perfectly

LucyLocketLostHerPocket Thu 06-Oct-16 09:33:29

Don't bother with the V6 spend the extra and get the V8. I've had both and it's definitely significantly better and worth the extra.

Jungfraujoch Thu 06-Oct-16 09:33:32

Thanks roses. I thought the v6 would be sufficient plus Animal is even more ££££.

Sad I'm so excited about a new vacuum though 😱😄

minijoeyjojo Thu 06-Oct-16 09:35:20

I have recently got the v8 and similarly have a large house and a shedding dog. I can't compare to the v6 but I just had to say it is absolutley amazing. Best thing ever!!

minijoeyjojo Thu 06-Oct-16 09:36:27

Sorry to add, I wouldn't have thought the v6 would have enough battery to do a larger place? Not sure but I seem to remember the battery life being really short in comparison to the v8

Jungfraujoch Thu 06-Oct-16 09:36:30

Is the v8 the Animal minijoeyjojo?

Jungfraujoch Thu 06-Oct-16 09:47:06

Hadn't thought of that minijoeyjojo, although saying that I don't usually hoover the entire house in way go anyway - I'm more of a bit at a time gal!

StarBurger Thu 06-Oct-16 09:51:09

I had an old v6 upgraded to a v6 animal recently and it's brilliant! If you have a dog I'd get the animal. Never tried a v8 but obviously I need one now!!

JessieMcJessie Thu 06-Oct-16 09:54:04

The V8 is the newest one. It has twice the battery life of the V6. We've got a V6 and our cleaner constantly complains about the battery life being too short (it takes 3 hours to recharge). I only use it in small bursts so doesn't bother me.

Jungfraujoch Thu 06-Oct-16 14:38:17

Now I'm confused! As I said I rarely vacuum upstairs and downstairs all in one go. So I imagine downstairs would be fine with the v6? Or do I. End the Animal version for pet hair?

Or do I go all out for the v8? Decisions decisions

GrubbyWindows Thu 06-Oct-16 18:54:38

Which reckons the V6 is nearly as good as the V8- the main difference is battery life, apparently. Is that worth several hundred quid to you?
(I'm watching longingly- I'd love a cordless dyson but have a corded Miele which is going strong...)

Mum2KSS Fri 07-Oct-16 11:31:23

We've got the v8 and it's absolutely amazing - i trialled both the v8 and gtech and the latter was totally pants in comparison - if you can stretch the budget for the v8 then i would definitely recommend.

RockinHippy Fri 07-Oct-16 11:48:42

I was given a V6 as my dad thought it pretty useless on his carpeted flat with 2 large fluffy cats. Its okay, but if I had paid £300 for it, I would be very, very disappointed as its far from great & we use it combined with our old Dyson

minijoeyjojo Fri 07-Oct-16 19:48:43

I've got the v8 absolute, I'm not sure what the difference is between that and the animal is. Re the battery, the v6 can do 20mins and the v8 40mins. I'd struggle to do the downstairs of my house in 20mins. I used to spend at least an hour hoovering all of the place! I guess it depends on what you want it for. It's also worth noting that the 20/40 min battery is using the smaller attachments and on the lower power. With the motorised head it doesn't last as long (25mins) and mine on max mode apparently only last 7mins. If you apply the same reductions in time for the v6 you wouldn't get much out of the battery!

CurtainsforRonnie Sat 08-Oct-16 12:48:53

None. Get the Bosch Athlet instead. Absolutely brilliant. grin

Jungfraujoch Sat 08-Oct-16 12:50:16

More confusion Curtains! Go on then - sell me the Athlet!

NoCapes Sat 08-Oct-16 12:50:30

None of them, absolute shite!
In fact there's one in my utility room if you want it? I've just bought a decent Hoover

Jungfraujoch Sat 08-Oct-16 12:54:38

Nocapes - which one did you try?

schbittery Sat 08-Oct-16 12:57:07

I've got a v8 and an der one, both are amazing, v8 is a hoover replacement, fantastic. Only small amount of caroet in the house though, don't k ow how good for fully carpeted.

NoCapes Sat 08-Oct-16 12:58:00

I don't actually know, the animal I think? It's purple and looks lovely - but does fuck all
Battery lasts for one room and takes hours to charge, you can't use it while it's charging, hardly picks up anything, stuff larger than a crumb blocks it, it cut out all.the.time! I spoke to the people at Dyson more than my own family!
It really is a shockingly shit vacuum
And was £350!!

PikachuSayBoo Sat 08-Oct-16 13:02:03

Ive got a medium house and a v6 animal. I love it.

It lasts for 20 mins on normal charge which I find sufficient. There's a finger trigger on/off thing so if you pause to move furniture or room then it goes off. You need to depress the switch to turn it on which conserves battery.

It only lasts for five mins in boost mode though. I have one rug which I need to use boost on as dog hair sticks to it.

A friend of mine has the same model and she reckons for her it's not powerful unless it's in boost mode all the time so for her the battery runs out in five mins and she's not happy.

PikachuSayBoo Sat 08-Oct-16 13:02:50

No capes, that sounds like the v6 animal as that's the purple one.

BummyMummy77 Sat 08-Oct-16 13:04:42

So v8 then. But animal or not animal? Thinks yourselves lucky, the v8 is £600 in the states. sad wonder if it's something I could bring home.

Jungfraujoch Sat 08-Oct-16 13:05:39

Nocapes maybe you got a duff one! I'm tempted to go all out for the v8 as most people seem to rave about it. As I said in my op I've a large house and one dog but only one carpeted room downstairs and a rug in the hall. Upstairs all carpeted (except bathrooms of course!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now