How do you stop your hallway looking a tip? Furniture?

(14 Posts)
DailyMailPenisPieces Tue 04-Oct-16 16:31:36

With school rucksacks, shoes, boots, trainers, coats for three kids and the equivalent for adults, our hall is a mess. Does anyone have any suggestions?

rhiaaaaaaaannon Tue 04-Oct-16 16:34:21

Good storage is your friend.
What's your hall look like? Size wise I mean.

Bluecarrot Tue 04-Oct-16 16:37:35

Not an issue for us at the minute but as a childminder I had a box for each child's bags and shoes. It sat directly under their coats in the hall. They were primary coloured but I think a nice sea grass basket with a lid might be nice? Maybe one that's like a stool with a lid that could be sat on for putting on shoes?

Tbh, the more furniture we have the more surfaces there are to get cluttered. I wouldn't use a unit unless you could be strict about nothing except "staged" items (a photo frame, a lamp and some flowers, for example) being there. Otherwise it'll be a place for letters, drawing, kids emptying their pockets after school etc.

I have third child on the way and was considering moving my kids coat stuff into the playroom. Would fit in with the chaos that's already in there!

Motherwithflaws Tue 04-Oct-16 16:37:54

We have shelves in the utility room for school shoes wtc and I prefer coats in bedrooms.

Motherwithflaws Tue 04-Oct-16 16:39:49

I do have a nice sideboard in the hall and it has a nice plant, candle clock and a box of tissues on it. Nothing else!!!

Pigeonpost Tue 04-Oct-16 16:41:26

[http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/small-storage-organisers/shoe-cabinets/trones-shoe-cabinet-storage-white-art-10031987/ These]] are the answer to everything. We have two rows of them topped with a piece of slate to make them look more like a piece of furniture. One box per person in the house for shoes (there are 5 of us) and the other for hats, gloves, scarves, dog leads, sunglasses... We have a hook rack for book bags/coats/rucksacks but if you have enough wall space (don't need much depth as these are thin but cavernous) you could fit several rows. They are called Trones, search for them on Pinterest for ideas.

Pigeonpost Tue 04-Oct-16 16:42:20

Bugger, I screwed up that link....

Here

NatalieRushman Tue 04-Oct-16 16:44:42

Storage is absolutely your friend. Use a shoe cupboard to keep the shoes our of sight. We also have a coats cupboard, but if you don't have a cupboard handy, make sure you have enough hooks for every coat to be hung up. Wall hooks save space.

As for bags, we have a special school cupboard. It matches all the other cupboards, but bags and school stuff are kept in it and removed only when needed.

BurnTheBlackSuit Tue 04-Oct-16 16:55:56

Good thread! We are also re-organising our tiny hallway and were wondering about shoes etc.

Does anyone use furniture with baskets inside for this? I was looking for something like this as I thought they would take more pairs of shoes.

bunnybleu Tue 04-Oct-16 17:02:00

I have a little unit with a lamp and the phone on which has basket drawers.....in here are all the gloves, hats, raincoats, waterproof trousers etc.
Two big baskets under the stairs for shoes. Seperate basket by the front door for school shoes ONLY so they know exactly where they are!
Keys can be chucked into a little basket on top of the radiator cover. Coats hung up under stairs
In theory it keeps it tidy......,.

IlPorcupinoNilSodomyEst Tue 04-Oct-16 17:24:39

We have a very narrow hallway so can't fit anything there, but have either Konnect or Mixxit storage cubes from B&Q (cant remember which) with baskets inside, in the front room. Keys and sunglasses in bowls, couple of baskets for dog stuff, a basket each for shoes. Kids pjs and socks go in another four baskets (our bathroom is downstairs so they get dressed for bed downstairs). A row of coat pegs in the hall, and a row in the kitchen/diner for school bags.

I still find shoes all over the place, but at least they theoretically have a place to live!

DailyMailPenisPieces Tue 04-Oct-16 19:10:47

We have quite a small hallway - coats have hooks but it all looks so unsightly. Will have a good read through -many thanks.

Qwebec Tue 04-Oct-16 21:10:24

you need divisions between hooks like on the picture. It makes le masses of coats look oganised.

Toomanycats99 Tue 04-Oct-16 21:22:23

We have an alcove about 80-90 cm wide. We got a built in cupboard made and turned it into a coat and shoe wardrobe. Best thing we have done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now