Talk

Advanced search

Are the potteries any good??

(12 Posts)
emsyj Tue 27-Sep-16 11:00:01

I appear to have no dishes, and I need to buy plates, bowls - pretty much a full lot of dinner ware. We live maybe an hour/hour and a half drive from the potteries, so I wondered if they have any bargains to offer?? I remember years ago my DMum and her sisters in law going every year for a full-on day out (starting very early and returning very late) at the potteries and buying carloads of stuff. Do they still have factory shops and how much discount is there?
Thanks for any info/advice. smile

iwishiwish Tue 27-Sep-16 21:17:15

Nearly every one of the pottery manufacturers has closed. Hardly any pottery is made in UK any more. Most of the old factory shops have gone. Try the Denby outlets, or Emma Bridgewater, if made in UK matters to you.

OdinsLoveChild Wed 28-Sep-16 06:59:51

Try Denby Village outlet (derby) if you like Denby that is. The potteries isn't really a 'pottery producers ' anymore although I think the wedgewood factory shop/museum has things for sale. You are better off saving your petrol and order online.
Boundary mills have some shops for dinner services etc. There's one at junction 10 of the m6, one at Mansfield off the a38/m1 and one at Sheffield. There's going to be more around the country but I only know those 3 myself.

tangledg Wed 28-Sep-16 07:11:32

I live in the potteries. We have emma Bridgewater, Dudson and the Wedgwood museum. I visit Emma bridgewater frequently as it is near to the town centre, and they have a good factory shop and cafe!

TheChippendenSpook Wed 28-Sep-16 07:26:29

There is a Boundary Mill at the end of the M65 in Colne 😌

emsyj Wed 28-Sep-16 16:59:25

Thanks for the replies. What sort of discount does the Emma Bridgewater factory shop offer?

I'm not a big fan of Denby to be honest. I'm not really sure what I want, possibly something quite garish but I prefer porcelain to stoneware. There is a Villeroy and Boch outlet and a Denby outlet (albeit a small one) at Cheshire Oaks, which is only about 20 mins away from me. Maybe I should just go there!!

emsyj Wed 28-Sep-16 16:59:54

Oh, just to clarify - I don't care where the stuff is made really, I just want naice dishes for a good price!

tangledg Wed 28-Sep-16 19:51:47

You can get Emma Bridgewater products online. They're usually cheaper than the store. That's what I've found anyway smile

wobblywonderwoman Wed 28-Sep-16 19:55:52

I love Emma Bridgewater but asda of all places have very similar mugs and I am a mug snob grin

They are pink - that type of shape

Davros Wed 28-Sep-16 21:09:10

What about Portmerion? It can be good and garish. No idea if they've got an outlet shop, sorry blush

MissRainbowBrite Thu 29-Sep-16 12:33:28

Portmeirion have an outlet shop at Trentham Gardens on the outskirts of Stoke on Trent.

emsyj Thu 29-Sep-16 15:21:31

I've seen a website with some nice stuff on it (some of it Portmeirion, some Royal Worcester) so will probably just order from there rather than traipsing to Stoke. Thanks for the info everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now