Laundry Help needed - Have I ruined my favourite dress?????

(16 Posts)
YesAnastasia Sun 25-Sep-16 14:41:27

I have this dress.

I wore it once & washed it and now the white of the collar is a dirty grey and I'm so upset. I love this dress & ordered it from America.

So far I have soaked it in Persil bio handwash stuff and washed it over & over in the machine. It's polyester so I don't think I can bleach it.

Anyone know what I can do?? Or where to take it to be fixed?

Please tell me I don't have to give up & chuck it sad

Coconutty Sun 25-Sep-16 14:42:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

eternalopt Sun 25-Sep-16 14:48:04

Try soaking in Napisan and hanging to dry in the sun if you can. Otherwise, could a local seamstress put a new collar on following the same design?

YesAnastasia Sun 25-Sep-16 14:58:42

If I got Vanish white on the black part, what would happen?

Also Napisan, would it have to just be the collar?

It's not really expensive, I guess I can buy another but what's stopping it happening again? I'm sure the dye from the black part was what discoloured the collar.

choli Sun 25-Sep-16 15:04:38

Did you follow the laundry instructions on the tag? It sounds like the black dye ran into the white.

LimpidPools Sun 25-Sep-16 15:10:56

I think getting somebody to replace the collar might be your best option. Especially if the black fabric isn't colourfast. Maybe get a detachable collar put on it for laundry purposes?

And if you followed the washing instructions etc I'd be getting on to the company in the US to complain about it too.

WooWooChooChoo Sun 25-Sep-16 15:16:20

If you do manage to get it out, next time you wash it make sure you use cool water and put a couple of colour catchers in with it.

www.colourcatcher.co.uk

YesAnastasia Sun 25-Sep-16 15:20:19

It's on the line, just checked the label.

No. I didn't follow the care instructions. It says COLD GENTLE MACHINE WASH. I absolutely just washed it on 40 like I do everything except school shirts. It was with similar colours though sad

Coconutty Sun 25-Sep-16 15:23:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Laska5772 Sun 25-Sep-16 15:32:44

if you read the comments on this dress ( which is lovely BTW) you'll see you are not the only one this has happened to ? Can you ask for a refund?

YesAnastasia Sun 25-Sep-16 15:34:15

I could be imagining it but it looks a little better after the bio soak.

Maybe I'll do that every day for a few weeks grin The water was very dark before I rinsed.

Why would you make a dress with a white collar if the rest isn't colour fast??

YesAnastasia Sun 25-Sep-16 15:35:01

Oh really, Laska I'll have a look.

YesAnastasia Sun 25-Sep-16 15:40:22

I see, yes. I need to buy another & wash it in cold. on it's own with a colourcatcher. Gawd the postage is so expensive AND I have to buy lots of other stuff too because it's a waste otherwise. They have it in floral too, look.

LimpidPools Sun 25-Sep-16 15:54:46

It is very lovely.

Just a thought - you washed it "with similar colours." Do you mean black? Because if so it could just as easily be that something else has run.

I still think you should complain to the company. Although I see that ordering lots of other lovely things too might make up for buying a new one...

YesAnastasia Sun 25-Sep-16 19:46:04

I washed it with other clothes that have white on them. The white collar on another dress has done it too but not as bad & it's just a primark one.

eternalopt Mon 26-Sep-16 02:23:49

With Napisan, I'd try and wash just the collar to avoid the black leaching again if you think it came from the dress

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now