Talk

Advanced search

Wooden furniture care - mold/mildew

(5 Posts)
badaboom Mon 05-Sep-16 20:00:50

I've recently moved and noticed some of my belongings esp. my solid wooden furniture have mold/mildew on them compared to the veneered ones. How do I best remove them. One of them is a pantry cupboard. Very noticeable when I opened the doors. I've read about vinegar. Do I repeatedly just spray vinegar and wipe them. Is this enough? I've already thrown away two of my tool bags as I can't be bothered to wash them in case it destroys my washing machine.

I thought I've aired the house enough ie 1/2hrs in the morning and windows open when cooking. Granted the house was still cold/drafty coming from the basement even with the radiator on. ANy tips for future upkeep before I start going down the veneer route.

badaboom Mon 05-Sep-16 20:02:03

The pantry cupboard is moldy at the back and inside. It's only one panel that is majorly affect. The rest are on the side bottom.

wallybrains Mon 05-Sep-16 21:48:13

I don't know of an exact mould remover for furniture but you could try this wooden furniture cleaner that may help?

painbadger Wed 07-Sep-16 15:46:01

I had some condensation mould on the bottom half of the back of very old victorian wooden drawers about 18 months ago - I used a diluted bleach solution and a cloth and dabbed away any mould spotting and let it dry thoroughly before putting any clothes back in the drawers. No sign of mould again.

PigletJohn Wed 07-Sep-16 16:54:39

What country are you in?

Mould will only grow in high humidity. In the UK mould and mildew in summer suggests a water leak.

In winter it is often condensation, in badly ventilated rooms or caused by wet washing or steamy cooking.

Some other countries are more humid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now