Laundry Sorting

(14 Posts)
HolaVida Mon 05-Sep-16 12:58:10

Okay......am looking to see if I can remove one of the steps in the seemingly endless laundry sorting and putting away.

It seems to me that the backlog in our house starts when I have baskets and baskets of clean washing on my bedroom floor waiting to be sorted.

BRAINWAVE (that's tongue in cheek) - does anyone sort their washing straight off the line? and if so, how do you do it ?! (ie do you have different baskets etc)

Advice taken ! we're a family of five.....

purplegoats Mon 05-Sep-16 13:01:25

My family think I'm sad but I have 4 baskets. One for each of my 2dds one for my husband and I and one for the ironing. Each person takes their basket and puts clothes away and then I usually refill once I've ironed! Works for us. They all stack up so ok for storage.

BertieBotts Mon 05-Sep-16 13:16:14

I tend to sort off the line into "Needs ironing" and "Doesn't need ironing". The stuff that doesn't need ironing then goes straight away or goes into four piles - Me, DH, DS, towels/sheets.

The ironed stuff gets sorted into piles as I do it and then i normally put it away straight after or just hand the piles out to whoever they belong to.

JemimaMuddledUp Mon 05-Sep-16 13:20:46

I have pretty much the same system as Bertie, except I have 6 piles as I have 3 DC.

onemouseplace Mon 05-Sep-16 13:35:32

Same system as Bertie - I find it takes less time overall if I take stuff off the line in order, so everything that needs to be ironed in one pile, then the non-iron things go into piles according to the room they need to be put away in.

Diddlydokey Mon 05-Sep-16 13:37:56

I sort it going onto the line:

Me and DH on the inside, DS on the outside (whirly). I don't iron, so I put away mine and DS's and leave DH's somewhere that I can't see it.

HolaVida Mon 05-Sep-16 19:49:26

Thanks all this is really helpful ! Glad there are other people who spend time thinking about sorting stuff.

dementedpixie Mon 05-Sep-16 19:55:26

I have 2 baskets, one for me/dh and one for Dd/ds. I don't have enough room for one each. I only iron shirts and school stuff so don't have an ironing pile as most of the ironing is dh's shirts and the kids school shirts. When the baskets are full I will put stuff away

Floralnomad Mon 05-Sep-16 20:30:53

4 of us , all washing goes in one dirty laundry bin , when washed / dried it either goes into the basket for the ironing lady or it gets folded into a different basket which is then put away in the various rooms . Ironing basket gets put away as soon as it comes back from being ironed ,as do the hanging garments .

NotAClueReally3 Wed 07-Sep-16 21:41:19

It's taken me years to get on top of this. The secret is these baskets..
Pop and Fold Laundry Sorter Hamper www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01F40GIM4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_3Nh0xb0N60HDG
You have to sort straight into baskets, one section for each person, immediately from dryer/line. When it gets sort of full it's straight into rooms and into correct drawers. I don't let myself leave the sorting baskets upstairs or the whole system collapses!!
I have a dirty laundry basket in each room and wash pretty much every day (3DC including a baby). Separate basket for ironing which gets done once a week. Hope this makes sense!

AnotherDayInParadiseLost Wed 07-Sep-16 21:50:42

Yes of course I sort straight off the line! And stuff that's dried inside is lined up on the airer in groups, so children (who can't reach line) can collect their own and put it away.

Pile straight off the line and at the door of bedroom if I'm on my own, taken to bedrooms by children if they are around. No middle resting place.

I'm anal about laundry. I have to be dying before DH is allowed to do more than hang up swimming towels. He does not sort from the line shock.

StillRabbit Wed 07-Sep-16 22:01:02

I wash mine and DHs clothes separately to DSs clothes anyway (DD does her own laundry), so it goes on the line already sorted then stuff that needs ironing goes into the ironing basket and other stuff gets put straight in relevant bedroom. Ironed stuff is sorted into piles as I iron and then put in relevant room.

hobobulate Thu 08-Sep-16 21:22:32

I wash in separate loads. DD1 and 2(they share a room) in one load , dd3 and 4 in another wash (share a room again) and ds2 goes in with mine and dh. DS1 does his own.
This has helped me massively. It means once one load is washed and ried it just goes back in the same basket and is put in the correct room to be put away.

Sgtmajormummy Sun 11-Sep-16 15:19:24

Shout "Oi, come and get your clothes!" when they're all off the line and on my bed.
We all do our own underwear, ninja tshirt fold and trousers/jeans /leggings bum-to-bum and into thirds. Drawers are clearly organised.
Dresses/uniform go on hangers and the ironing (very little) goes in the basket.
We all do linen folding and putting away. Takes 10 mins max.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now