Disposing of confidential waste

(18 Posts)
GooseFriend Thu 01-Sep-16 13:10:52

How do you dispose of confidential household waste? Like card receipts and letters?

We uses to have a shredder but it's just bitten the dust. It was also temperamental and created a lot of dust. I might buy a new one but wondered if there were other ways.

Bookishandblondish Thu 01-Sep-16 13:19:15

It depends on how much you have. I have quite a lot - both personal and work related
I recently bagged it all and paid for a shredding company to pick it up and shred - but did have six bags worth.

Now I'm thinking I will save it up and do the same. Shredding just piles up as I loathe it.

Blackberryandapplejam Thu 01-Sep-16 13:27:27

We have a log fire. It gets burnt on there on a weekly basis.

Cakescakescakes Thu 01-Sep-16 13:32:22

Shredder. They're dead cheap.

Floralnomad Thu 01-Sep-16 13:34:15

We shred everything .

GooseFriend Thu 01-Sep-16 14:33:32

I don't think I generate enough for a company - shame. New shredder it is then

AdoraBell Thu 01-Sep-16 14:38:18

Shredder here too.

ChipmunkSundays Thu 01-Sep-16 19:42:58

Either cut them up and dispose of them in different bins at home or include them with my confidential work papers and put them into the work industrial-sized shredders.

Davros Thu 01-Sep-16 20:25:42

I've got a massive bag of shredding to do. The problem is it doesn't get done and it's now my sword of Damocles. Maybe I should try paying DD to do it but I'd probably still get lumbered

Improvisingnow Fri 02-Sep-16 17:05:20

I save it up and who I have a bin bag full burn it in an incinerater in the garden.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Fri 02-Sep-16 17:09:04

Shred and compost.

Card receipts go in the recycling bin since they stopped printing the full number.

Anything that's just generic marking goes straight in the recycling too.

ChunkyHare Sat 03-Sep-16 09:10:43

We shred as we get stuff. I have a magazine file which the post gets sorted into for filing or shredding so once a week I shred. That way you are not sitting in front of a shredder for 3 hours and possibly burning out the motor grin (been there)

silverfingersandtoes Sat 03-Sep-16 15:28:07

But once you've bitten the bullet and done all the shredding, what do you do with all the shreds? Into the paper recycling, yes - but what do you put it in to put it in the recycling? Can't use a bin liner......confused

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sat 03-Sep-16 16:19:48

You put it in the compost bin.

Our council don't want shredded paper in the recycling, they want it in our green bins which are food and garden waste.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sat 03-Sep-16 16:20:15

If it must go in the paper recycling then how about a paper bag?

silverfingersandtoes Sat 03-Sep-16 17:11:12

Ah, that's useful thanks Moving - I hadn't realised that. I'll check it out with our local Council. However, the compost recycling box is even smaller than the paper one and these shreds take up a surprising amount of space.

Heratnumber7 Sat 03-Sep-16 17:20:35

I put confidential waste in the compost bin. Don't worry about shredding it as its pretty useless after a few teabags and potato peelings have covered it.
Sometimes I put it in the confidential waste bin at work.

LemonRedwood Sat 03-Sep-16 17:22:56

Blank out personal details with a camouflage roller stamp then recycle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now