Smelly tshirts

(10 Posts)
cakesandphotos Sat 27-Aug-16 17:14:48

My DH has a tendency to overheat very easily and as a result the underarms of his tshirts can be a bit pongy. I wash them using detergent and fabric conditioner on a 40 degree wash and when possible, I hang them outside. I've just done a load and the underarms are still whiffy. He uses deodorant and showers daily so I'm really looking for something I can do while washing them. Is there a super strong detergent I can use or should I wash them on 60? Advice please!!

TheFirie Sat 27-Aug-16 23:04:51

Your DH's t-shirt have probably some polyester or other synthetic fibres in it and your should buy a sport detergent or any other antibacterial one. Meanwhile today, you can try soaking them in vinegar and then wash again. But honestly the antibacterial detergent works wonder.

tshirtsuntan Sat 27-Aug-16 23:06:38

A capful of zoflora in the wash.

umizoomi Sat 27-Aug-16 23:06:51

Soak in napisan or add it as a pre-wash in the machine. It's fab for sweat X

PitchFork Sat 27-Aug-16 23:08:06

don't use softener, that 'traps' the pong.
use bio powder at 40 or higher.
proper long wash that rinses properly.
if they are cotton shirts you can wash at 60 every now and then.

DailyMailPenisPieces Sun 28-Aug-16 14:42:18

There was an industrial chemist in here a while ago and she said to spray armpits of t-shirts etc with vinegar to break down deodorant that maintains smell.

Cheerybigbottom Sun 28-Aug-16 14:43:25

I am having the same problem with my husbands work polo shirts, washing higher temp hasn't solved it so I will try a few tips from here thanks.

AnthonyPandy Sun 28-Aug-16 14:45:57

All tops/tshirts/shirts are washed at 60 here, 40 is simply not hot enough.

cakesandphotos Sun 28-Aug-16 14:59:52

Thanks for all the tips smile I've bought some zoflora because I'm a sucker for anything that smells of lavender! First test, my smelly Toms blush

helpimitchy Thu 01-Sep-16 06:36:39

Dettol Laundry Cleanser sorted out my smelly work uniforms and dh's tee shirts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now