Talk

Advanced search

Aaargh - furniture polish spray on newly painted walls

(3 Posts)
Filiboom Fri 26-Aug-16 20:41:38

We have just, after five years, got round to repainting the magnolia walls in our bedroom. I spent hours agonising over colours and now, for the first time since I've been a grown up, have a beautiful bedroom.

We moved DH's precious wooden bookshelves in, which he lovingly polished. Unfortunately, he's clearly not used to aerosol wood polish as we now have beeswax polish sprayed all over the new F&B walls. It's a big oily stain that will attract dust and just looks bad.

I am working very hard on not being cross (I know I could easily have done the same, if I were inclined to polish), but want to know what can be done.

Is there anything that will remove an (enormous) oily mark from painted walls. It's F&B estate emulsion, which I know isn't as durable so don't want to just start scrubbing at it. We do have some paint left over, but not sure if just paint over it will work if it's oily?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We haven't even got all the furniture moved back in and it's already starting to look as trashed as the rest of the house!

wowfudge Fri 26-Aug-16 22:58:32

You need to try something like talc to absorb the oil pressed on and left for a while then hoover it off. Then a stain blocking paint and paint over it.

Filiboom Fri 26-Aug-16 23:58:52

That's great - thank you. Unfortunately, we're going on holiday at crack of dawn tomorrow (and I think it's already absorbed) so won't be able to talc it, but good to know about stain blocking paint. Do you think we'll need to repaint the whole wall?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now