Talk

Advanced search

Clothes everywhere - thinking of going minimalist!

(6 Posts)
Letmesleepalready Thu 25-Aug-16 13:06:48

Over the years I've drastically improved my laundry routine, so now generally I'm on top of the dirty laundry. But putting all the clean laundry away is my nemesis. I'm thinking we probably have too many clothes to start with, but we also need a better system overall especially as DD2 loves nothing better than shuffle all the piles up!

mortgagefreesoon5 Thu 25-Aug-16 14:23:50

I am better than I used to be. I have to say i do not iron, I don't even know where my iron isblush
Family of 4 here, we don't have many clothes, I put on a load on every morning, on a timer, so when i come downstairs, clothes have already been washed and are ready to dry outside/dryer. Once the clothes are dry i fold them neatly and put them away. I do it fast, it takes me literally 5 min
So the trick for me is to keep on at it. One load at the time. I don't let it build up, otherwise it's overwhelming.
Before I got to this stage I had to do several loads to catch up and i got rid/donated tons of clothes

Letmesleepalready Thu 25-Aug-16 15:48:49

mortgage iron? What's that? wink
I have managed to do a load a day, but seem to collect the clean washing in piles. No idea why I don't get it done, as as you said, it really doesn't take long. I'm thinking maybe our chest of drawers aren't in the best place to reach, so it just seems harder than it is! I've got rid of lots of mine and the dcs ones, just need to convince DH to do his. Mainly because he only uses a fraction of his clothes so his chest of drawers is packed full with no space for clean clothes!

KondoAttitude Thu 25-Aug-16 17:01:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

specialsubject Thu 25-Aug-16 17:40:10

Stop buying for adults unless you really need something (eg knickers) and have run out. Get rid of all rarely worn stuff except one party outfit, one wedding outfit, one funeral outfit.

For kids - all outgrown stuff goes.

Letmesleepalready Thu 25-Aug-16 18:35:06

kondo we've got 5 laundry baskets! White, colours, darks, woollen and towels/sheets... Which actually works really well, but we've tried the bed approach, the basket approach, the pile approach, and nothing seems to help getting the clean clothes in the right place!
I've just ordered some pop up laundry baskets (1 per person) to see if that helps at all.
I think it's the same issue I have of not tidying up after myself, so the kids don't either. And I don't know how to start making the change!
special we do try and put away outgrown clothes, but the bags keep growing. As we don't know if we want more kids it's proving difficult to get rid of it, just in case. Wouldn't be such an issue if we had the space to sort them properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now