Talk

Advanced search

Getting rid of smoke from curtains. Any ideas?

(6 Posts)
pookamoo Wed 24-Aug-16 17:02:21

DD1 bought a pair of curtains in a charity shop to make a "princess costume". They are moderately heavy weight synthetic fibre.

I've washed them and dried them and I think they have a whiff of cigarette smoke about them <boak>

DD spent some of her holiday pocket money on them and really wants to use them for her dress (she's 7!).

I've left them on the line and they will stay out fine for a couple more days, but does anyone have any tips for getting them clean? They don't absolutely pong or I would have noticed when they came out of the bag, but I don't fancy adding them to the dressing up box as they are!

saywhatmate Wed 24-Aug-16 17:44:27

Hey,

My husband smokes around the house and find the odour to get stuck on certain things like curtains, sofas etc etc. I use this cleanerto g et rid of the smell. A couple of sprays of this on your curtains should do the trick.

CharminglyGawky Wed 24-Aug-16 17:49:57

I'd bung them back through the wash with a bit of white vinegar. That stuff seems to be able to cut all smells it's awesome!

Alisandro Wed 24-Aug-16 18:07:09

Try to wash them with Lenor
It will kill awfull smoke but give another one but more nice.

unlucky83 Wed 24-Aug-16 18:11:44

Cigarette smoke is greasy - so I'd wash them as hot as they will take with some washing soda....
Then a normal wash and long time in the fresh air...

whirlwinds Wed 24-Aug-16 18:14:14

Was also about to suggest white vinegar, works a charm and cheap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now