Talk

Advanced search

Show house clean

(12 Posts)
Chottie Sun 21-Aug-16 20:11:40

If your home is show house clean, please can you share your tips? I love that look, but never quite manage to achieve it flowers

CremeEggThief Sun 21-Aug-16 23:58:02

My house isn't " show house clean", but I am obsessively tidy. This fools most people. grinOnce you've got your house extremely tidy, it only takes a few minutes a day to tidy any clutter or mess, provided you don't have lots of people living there, pets or young children. I only have 1 DS (13) and spend a lot of time here alone, which helps.

Tiggeryoubastard Mon 22-Aug-16 00:08:13

Show house tidy isn't the same as clean. The person with the tidiest (and to be fair, most beautiful, which is irrelevant) home is bloody filthy. Rushing to splash crockery then wipe it dry just to get it away. And yes, I judge. Bloody hacky.

Tiggeryoubastard Mon 22-Aug-16 00:10:35

Id rather be clean than tidy. I care about my family and I have self respect and don't do fur coat and o knickers.

CremeEggThief Mon 22-Aug-16 00:13:58

Let me assure you my house is not filthy, Tigger, and when it comes to washing up, let's just say nobody else is allowed to wash up in my house, as I don't believe most people can wash up to my standards. I wash up every single item one at a time under hot running water.

What are your tips for the OP, anyway?

Tiggeryoubastard Mon 22-Aug-16 00:17:07

My tip would be clean rather than tidy. And show house isn't healthy for a family home. And boasting that tidy is better than clean is just horrible.

Tiggeryoubastard Mon 22-Aug-16 00:21:41

I do get the washing up thing, creme. That is a particular bugbear of mine. It's really a big deal. Lots of people I know are (in my opinion) bloody disgusting but may judge me for a pile of clean clothes that haven't been sorted to iron or not on my dining table.

mortgagefreesoon5 Mon 22-Aug-16 01:35:36

My friend's house is a show house clean. She doesn't do clutter, and she has very few knick knacks which makes it easy to clean. So yes, I think decluttering is the key

plutoisnotaplanet Mon 22-Aug-16 14:26:28

My Mum is show house clean. I grew up in it, it's a toxic environment for a child!

Things she used to do:

Put plastic down on light coloured carpets and chairs and whip them off when guests came to visit. We were not allowed to speak of the plastic to anyone.

We were only allowed to eat and drink in the kitchen day to day, no drinks beyond the kitchen door and only allowed snacks at the kitchen table.

Hobbies/ toys existed only in our rooms, subsequently we spent a lot of time in our rooms as kids and didn't socialize as a family in the evenings.

Mum did multiple washes a day so there was never dirty clothes in the hampers and would iron until it was done each night.. sometimes she'd be ironing at midnight in the kitchen.

We had rooms in our house we were not allowed to enter as kids: the living room and the dining room being the main ones. We were allowed in our rooms, the kitchen and the snug only. We only ever saw the inside of our parents room on our Birthdays and only saw the dining room at Christmas. As a child I never once sat down in the lounge. Even now when we visit Mum she winces when we have cups of tea in there hmm

Guests were never allowed in the snug, it was just off the kitchen so I think most people thought it was a pantry! We had a TV, Xbox and books in there but she still went mad if it ever had anything out of place.

As for cleaning, we were never involved. She would get in from work at 7pm and then would none-stop clean until long after we were in bed. I still don't know what she did, it wasn't a big house!

As a result of this, as a teen and young adult I was horrendously messy. Never did any cleaning because I'd never been taught how! I think it was a rebellion too. Only recently have I cleaned up my act and got my house in order!

Life is too short to have a show home house, especially if you have kids.

plutoisnotaplanet Mon 22-Aug-16 14:26:38

My Mum is show house clean. I grew up in it, it's a toxic environment for a child!

Things she used to do:

Put plastic down on light coloured carpets and chairs and whip them off when guests came to visit. We were not allowed to speak of the plastic to anyone.

We were only allowed to eat and drink in the kitchen day to day, no drinks beyond the kitchen door and only allowed snacks at the kitchen table.

Hobbies/ toys existed only in our rooms, subsequently we spent a lot of time in our rooms as kids and didn't socialize as a family in the evenings.

Mum did multiple washes a day so there was never dirty clothes in the hampers and would iron until it was done each night.. sometimes she'd be ironing at midnight in the kitchen.

We had rooms in our house we were not allowed to enter as kids: the living room and the dining room being the main ones. We were allowed in our rooms, the kitchen and the snug only. We only ever saw the inside of our parents room on our Birthdays and only saw the dining room at Christmas. As a child I never once sat down in the lounge. Even now when we visit Mum she winces when we have cups of tea in there hmm

Guests were never allowed in the snug, it was just off the kitchen so I think most people thought it was a pantry! We had a TV, Xbox and books in there but she still went mad if it ever had anything out of place.

As for cleaning, we were never involved. She would get in from work at 7pm and then would none-stop clean until long after we were in bed. I still don't know what she did, it wasn't a big house!

As a result of this, as a teen and young adult I was horrendously messy. Never did any cleaning because I'd never been taught how! I think it was a rebellion too. Only recently have I cleaned up my act and got my house in order!

Life is too short to have a show home house, especially if you have kids.

ojalaquelluevacafe Mon 22-Aug-16 16:38:30

My house isn't show home clean. It's too difficult to maintain that look everyday. But we did for a brief period last year when putting our old house up for sale. IMO, it's the little extras that make a difference i.e. clean light switches, doors, skirting boards etc. All shiny surfaces (faucets, mirrors, glass) polished till they shine. No smudges or fingerprints on windows. And decluttered, empty surfaces.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 23-Aug-16 13:47:29

All you've got to do is clean everything top to bottom every single day. Even Christmas Day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now