Talk

Advanced search

Cleaning green mould from a fence?

(7 Posts)
millysmith Thu 18-Aug-16 20:50:41

Hi there, Just wondering what you thought was the best method for cleaning a wooden fence prior to re-treating? The fence is 100% sound but has quite a heavy covering of green in places. I have a pressure washer available if necessary and there are plants to consider if detergents are used.

Thanks

SquidgeyMidgey Thu 18-Aug-16 20:52:20

The pressure washer should do it if the fence is in good enough condition to take it. We pressure wash our wooden garden furniture in the spring and don't use detergent.

elephantoverthehill Thu 18-Aug-16 20:58:49

My pressure washer gave up this year, I was planning to use it to clean the fence before restaining. So I sent DS1 out with a scrubbing brush and the hose and it worked well. I also didn't have to warn the neighbours as I was a bit worried about power washing green through the fence and onto their garden. DS1 has been paid but has still 2 panels left to stain

lauracobden Fri 19-Aug-16 23:56:17

The best way to clean a wooden fence would be to use a mould and algae cleaner.

NicknameUsed Sat 20-Aug-16 00:01:45

Pressure washer. Quick and easy, and no nasty chemicals.

specialsubject Sat 20-Aug-16 12:53:44

Scrub with jeyes fluid. Wear gloves and eye protection.

takesnoprisoners Sun 21-Aug-16 16:08:30

There is a fungicidal wash available at B&Q. Dilute, apply on the fence. Let it dry and peel off and then paint. Takes about 24-48 hours. We just did it this month!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now