Talk

Advanced search

Getting labels off glass bottles

(9 Posts)
KanyesVest Mon 15-Aug-16 09:12:05

I've some lovely glass bottles that had fancy hand soap lotion in and I want to refill them with something else. I soaked them over night in a basin of water hoping the labels would lift off this morning, but they are well stuck on. My only thought has been nail varnish remover, but before I stink the place out, is there anything else I can try?

Buscake Mon 15-Aug-16 09:15:27

Try wd40. Spray on, wipe it with a bit of kitchen roll or something to ensure even coverage, then after you've left it for a bit scrape off the label with an old credit card or similar.

OTheHugeManatee Mon 15-Aug-16 09:15:57

White spirit often does the trick.

dementedpixie Mon 15-Aug-16 09:18:37

De-solvit pre wash spray can be used to remove labels. Found with other laundry stain removers in the supermarket

Sequentialchoring Mon 15-Aug-16 09:19:40

Lakeland do something called sticky stuff remover

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Mon 15-Aug-16 09:22:18

I dshwasher any jars/bottles I want to keep and then if the labels are still stuck hack at them with a table knife

Usually a couple of goes of that will get you down to the glue and then it's chemical warfare...acetone/wd40/paint stripper and a brillo pad.

Tagetes Mon 15-Aug-16 09:25:46

It's a pain. I regularly do it because I make a lot of jam. I've found soaking in hot soapy water to get the paper off (scoring it first if it's plasticized or has a foil surface), then rubbing the residue with white spirit and using the point of a knife to scrape it off largely works but it take a bit of time. Then you have to wash the jar about three times to get rid of the smell of white spirit!

Ifailed Mon 15-Aug-16 09:46:39

good long soak in soapy water to remove label, then on with the marigolds, V hot water and wire-wool scrubber. The heat sort of melts the glue and the scrubber removes it.

KanyesVest Mon 15-Aug-16 12:05:36

Thanks, I hadn't thought to scored the labels before soaking them. Between all the suggestions, I'll no doubt get them off!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now