Pray For Me... I'm turning the --junk-- spare room into a craft room...

(11 Posts)
picklypopcorn Fri 12-Aug-16 14:57:09

I've recently de-cluttered/ sorted/ cleaned/ emptied my entire house, it took 7 days and was a task of biblical proportions. However, 1 room remains stubbornly un-sorted because i just can't bring myself to tackle it... the dreaded junk room.

There's all sorts of crap in it, how do I even start??

BengalCatMum Fri 12-Aug-16 14:58:15

Buy a skip hahah

AliceInHinterland Fri 12-Aug-16 15:00:54

Can you box everything up so that the room is clear, give it a really good clean out. Then sort through one box an evening while watching telly.

pontificationcentral Fri 12-Aug-16 15:01:45

Move everything in it to living room. Just build a towering pile of shite there and then you can't ignore it any more and will have to deal with it. I bet it becomes much easier as you'll also be able to see what you are dealing with instead of hiding it all behind the spare room door grin

picklypopcorn Fri 12-Aug-16 15:08:03

I'm seriously considering piling it all on my bed so I can't go to bed without sorting it grin

It's already got ikea kallax shelves in there which are awesome, but I want to empty a lot of them to give me room for fabrics and bits (starting to make my own clothes)

I also need space for warhammer models and painting stuff (don't ask) that need their own space but there is just sooo much other STUFF to deal with in there... argh it's overwhelming sad any good (CHEAP) places to buy good plastic boxes with lids?

Zippidydoodah Fri 12-Aug-16 15:30:02

Lol at "towering pile of shite"!

I like the idea of boxing everything up and cleaning the room...

TheBitterBoy Sat 13-Aug-16 12:56:17

I love the Really Useful Boxes range, there is always one exactly the right shape and size. They have some excellent divided boxes which would be good for all the fiddly warhammer bits. They aren't super cheap, but really robust and stack brilliantly.

building2016 Sat 13-Aug-16 14:19:01

Hello pickly, I'm on your thank you thread. I KNOW you can do this.

When I find a space overwhelming I tend to go and just stand in it every day and get an idea of what I want it to be like. So I visualise 'Over here will be my fabrics, here will be my sewing machine, here will be the Warhammer section (behind this door) and then eventually the stuff that doesn't belong just seems like rubbish and is much easier to ditch.

picklypopcorn Sat 13-Aug-16 17:56:49

Thanks building, I've set next weekend aside to get it done, ended up demolishing the garden shed this weekend and clearing the yard, I'm knackered!

building2016 Sat 13-Aug-16 19:49:24

It is so helpful having something productive to procrastinate with. Sorting the garden and the shed is huge!

TeaPleaseBob Thu 18-Aug-16 15:26:05

Pickly I have exactly the same problem right down to the warhammer/ assorted plastic crap and gibbons space for a sewing machine. I'm actually considering a shed/ garden office for my husbands plastic tat collections as ours is a tiny box room.

I think we're going to have be brutal and get rid of stuff then dedicate a few days to getting it cleared out. Can't face starting but I know it'll be ok once we do

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now