Talk

Advanced search

An iron for very hard water?

(14 Posts)
GingerAndTheBiscuits Fri 12-Aug-16 09:16:32

My lucky husband is getting an iron for his birthday (as he's the only one who does any) and I can't keep listening to the complaining about limescale in our cheaply one we've had for last few years. Any recommendations for a good one? We don't have storage space for one of those fancy ones with the bases!

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Fri 12-Aug-16 09:19:49

You just need to use different water - either the scented ones from the supermarket or just cheap distilled water from Amazon/eBay, usually sold in 5 litre containers for car radiators etc.

ArnoldRimmerBSc Fri 12-Aug-16 10:35:02

i found this really helped. You just fill it with normal tap water and it softens it. You can use it lots of times so it is more economical than buying deionised water.

www.lakeland.co.uk/24255/Lakeland-Water-Softener-For-Irons-%26-Steam-Mops-30g

lljkk Fri 12-Aug-16 11:07:45

Don't use hard tapwater, use the distilled or deonised water that you can buy in large jugs from motoring shops (the same type of water goes in your car radiator).

chloechloe Fri 12-Aug-16 11:38:33

Lucky husband grin Our water is so hard we have lumps of chalk in the kettle (yes I need to descale mire often!)

As above, just use distilled water - you can also dilute it half and half with normal tap water and maybe change the ratio if necessary depending on how you get on.

GingerAndTheBiscuits Fri 12-Aug-16 15:26:07

Thanks all. I suppose my question now is - which iron? And shall I wrap him up a bottle of distilled water to go with it? grin

rabbit123 Fri 12-Aug-16 18:33:28

Philips make the best irons I've found

Boredomismyenemy Fri 12-Aug-16 18:37:13

I live in a really hard water area, I've had my currently Philips iron about 4 years. It run the calc clean setting on it occasionally, probably not often enough, have only ever used normal tap water. Never leave water in it though. Seems to function as well as it always has. It was more expensive than any iron I've bought in the past but is clearly better quality.

mariesmith Fri 12-Aug-16 20:38:57

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

GingerAndTheBiscuits Fri 12-Aug-16 22:07:15

We currently have a Russell Hobbs that he hates. Thanks for the recommendations though - I've gone for a Braun that had excellent reviews on John Lewis site.

I have bought him some actual fun presents too grin

ArnoldRimmerBSc Sat 13-Aug-16 06:58:25

Get a steam generator iron! It will change his life! grin

Phillips and Tefal are always good.

RosieWithTheGoodHair Sat 13-Aug-16 07:15:07

grin lucky man

GingerAndTheBiscuits Sat 13-Aug-16 08:38:41

He'd have to start doing more than his own clothes to earn a steam generator one Arnold grin

Davros Sun 14-Aug-16 23:03:59

I gather you should mix deionised water with tap water as its too acidic on its own. Could be a lot of cobblers though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now