Talk

Advanced search

Is there something you can put in the tumble dryer to make clothes smell nice?

(7 Posts)
parisgellar Mon 08-Aug-16 11:23:08

Like a ball or a sheet or something? I'm new to the tumble dryer game.

PigletJohn Mon 08-Aug-16 12:54:43

you can get tumbledrier sheets, but why do you need them?

If you have previously been draping your washing around the house, it will smell of mould and bacterial growth due to being warm and damp, but tumble drying (and line drying in the sun) does not cause these problems. It is worse if you use liquids and/or cool washes because they are not so good at disinfecting your clothes and washer, and more likely to leave residual sludge.

A useful tip is to change your brand or flavour of powder and softener every few weeks. You can just keep a couple of different packs and use them alternately. This is because your snout gets acclimatised to the scent of persil or comfort or whatever, and you don't notice it. But you will notice a different brand because it is not what you're used to. Other people will notice the smell of your laundry much more, so don't go overboard on the scents.

parisgellar Mon 08-Aug-16 13:52:15

Thanks for the reply! I'm using sensitive, unscented washing powder and fabric softener as I have rubbish skin. I feel like clothes come out smelling a bit weird. I can't really describe it. I think I need to clean my washing machine actually but haven't a clue how.

PigletJohn Mon 08-Aug-16 15:55:47

service wash take your pick

rabbit123 Mon 08-Aug-16 15:58:53

parisgellar, if you have sensitive skin, dryer sheets will make it once. They're one of the most highly chemical-based products you can buy.

To clean your washing machine, wipe around the door deal with a bleach spray and cloth, then run the machine on the longest, hottest wash with either a cup of soda crystals or one of those powder sachets of washing machine cleaner that you get from Wilko's or Home Bargains.

You should clean out the drawer and under/behind it too.

PigletJohn Mon 08-Aug-16 16:33:18

I suppose you know the trick of squirting scent on the bottom of your linen drawer, then a sheet of tissue paper so the clothes don't contact it directly; or putting an (empty, with the lid off) bottle in there.

mariesmith Tue 09-Aug-16 18:52:03

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now