Talk

Advanced search

help with the litter tray hovel

(8 Posts)
ineedacupoftea2016 Mon 08-Aug-16 08:36:21

Our rental house is strange and we have a hallway that never gets used in the house except for accessing the front door which is on another level to all the other accommodation. Because of this and the fact there's zero space elsewhere (or a cat flap) we put the litter tray there. Gross because you walk past it upon entering the house but useful because when you're in the house you can't see it / smell it!

The area is getting stinky....I think the cat may have had a dribble on the carpet (he's old) but even with extensive and regular Vax carpet shampooing...it constantly smells like a multistory carpark stairwell. The carpet is cheap and nasty which probably doesn't help but we are at a loss and are starting to smell the odd whiff in the rest of the house - I'm embarrassed to let anyone come round!

The house is temporary but probably for another 6 months and cat flap not an option.

This week I'm going to strip everything bare, hot scrub the litter tray and shampoo the carpet again and then spray some of that HG pet odour carpet spray to see is that helps.

Any other suggestions for keeping the smell at bay?? Help please!!!!

wowfudge Mon 08-Aug-16 09:10:13

Will your cat use one of the lidded litter trays that's like a cat basket with no door? Also means less chance of out of tray accidents or wet litter bring kicked out. What type of litter are you using, how often are you cleaning and replacing?

FeckTheMagicDragon Mon 08-Aug-16 09:24:42

Get this (take the door if if kitty is too posh to push - like our little madams). It stops the litter from being kicked every where and seems to have stopped mine from weeing next to the tray. I'd also put something over the carpet. But the wee will have soaked down into the underlay - you may have to replace.
m.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter_litter_boxes/hooded_litter_box/litter_boxes_filter/278485?gclid=CjwKEAjw26C9BRCOrKeYgJH17kcSJACb-HNASbdCnGVJjuQtHrB8bdPEGaDcyt7zgIhlQ5gP4fu8ixoCe8jw_wcB

ineedacupoftea2016 Mon 08-Aug-16 09:42:51

Thanks, yes he uses an enclosed litter tray with a mat underneath no I'm not sure how he's had a dribble it's just the smell would suggest he has! Tray is cleared daily or more and cleared properly at least weekly but that doesn't seem to make a difference - there's a general whiff of old pee even once shampoo'd - like it's in the Vax or something! It's a rental so I guess if it's dreadful we will have to replace the carpets when we leave but not something we would do whilst here short term as I guess it could happen again.

ineedacupoftea2016 Mon 08-Aug-16 09:43:34

Sorry - litter is the wood chip stuff - found it didn't get walked through the house so much.

trinity0097 Mon 08-Aug-16 10:14:04

Couple of Neutrodol blocks in the vicinity might help as well?

wowfudge Mon 08-Aug-16 12:42:33

The Simple Solution stain and odour remover is brilliant, so try that. Also use it on the doorstep and wipe the door down both sides. I wonder if there's another cat spraying and it's that you can smell. If you're cleaning, etc regularly it shouldn't be smelling so bad.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 08-Aug-16 17:55:43

Is there a charcoal filter in the tray? Ours is covered and has a vented area for the filter.

You can buy big sheets of charcoal matting designed for cooker hoods and cut it to size. eBay will have some.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now